Search results

1. J

Legal diving over the ruck?

Ok, to be fair this isn't diving over the ruck in a traditional sense, but is there something illegal about this in the law book? Something somewhere about a player leaving their feet maybe? I can't recall exactly.
  2. J

Clarification on where the defending scrum-half may move to once the scrum begins?

Per 19.30, these are the defending scrum-half's options of where they may move to once play in the scrum begins: Per 19.30.a, can the scrum-half move to the opposite side of the scrum from where they started, as long as they stay behind the ball and close to the scrum while doing so? Option...
  3. J

Can a player be offsides when they are not in the playing area?

Per 10.2: Keyword playing area not enclosure. So what about a player in touch, can they be offsides during open play? I can't imagine the answer being no, but had to ask for the sake of argument. Here's an example scenario: Blue Team is in possession of the ball. A (currently onside) player...
  4. J

At a ruck, when would the team last moving forward not be the attacking team also?

I can't say I've seen this one called much, so never put much thought to it before. But what does "the last team moving forward" actually mean at a ruck for example? Is it the last team to advance the ball forward before the ruck began? Or does it mean the team who last was moving forward via...
  5. J

Can a knock on occur from touch / outside the playing area?

As per 18.2.d: It does not dictate a specific direction of the knock or further clarify what happens should someone knock the ball forward from touch, in an effort to keep it from reaching the plane of touch. Knock on or play on?...Thoughts?
  6. J

What type of restart occurs when the attacking team kicks the ball out the back of the defending teams in-goal?

If the attacking team kicks the ball (punt in the air or grubber on the ground - I assume no difference here) and it does not touch a defending player, and goes out the back of the defending team's in-goal, what type of restart occurs? In-Goal dropout, 22m dropout, scrum option, something else...
  7. J

Player red carded in an unsanctioned friendly 10s match at the field of a 15s tournament, is the player out for the day at the tournament?

This is at an off-season 15s tournament (20-minute halves) in NJ, USA. Team A didn't bring enough players to play their first game so they forfeited and suggested an unsanctioned friendly 10s match with the original Team B they were supposed to play. The forfeit was recorded on the books in the...
  8. J

[Line out] Minimum Number Of Players For Throwing Side In A Lineout?

What is the minimum number of players in a set lineout for the throwing team? In other words, does the thrower count towards the 2 player minimum?
  9. J

Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

Could someone clarify and cite me the law that dictates if the goal is awarded when a kick taken for points goes directly over the top of the goal post. Is the goal awarded or not?
  10. J

Quick Rundown / Things To Look Out For?

Hi, I lost my original post so I'm going to re-write this briefly. I haven't refereed in 2 years and haven't played in 1 year. I'm getting back into refereeing this Saturday in a B-side / friendly match between my former D1 college team and another D1 college team. I'm fairly knowledgeable on...
  11. J

Ruck - Hooking The Ball Back, Opposing Scrum Half Comes In With Hands

(Retyping this briefly, as it didn't submit the first time.) This just occurred to me last weekend in a game I played in. Red team is advancing the ball. Red ball carrier tackled, and a clean ruck is set. Red team rucking players fall to ground which exposes the ball on ground. Blue team...
  12. J

Where's the offsides line?

I recently read a post someone made (which at the time made sense in my head) that stated just because two people who are rucking disengage from each other doesn't mean the ruck ended. Essentially they were going by the ruck laws saying that a ruck can only end a few ways, and if the rucking...
  13. J

A Maul Brought To Ground Safely And Ball Carrier Not Releasing The Ball?

Just wanted to double check other people's input on this. Recently I received an email from my local referee society as a reminder about mauls that are legally brought to ground. I never pondered on this before, but apparently when a maul is brought to ground legally, "there is no obligation for...
  14. J

Counter Rucker Options?

Hi, Just wanted to brush up on this particular aspects of rucks (more so to improve my ability as a player.) I was wondering what options are available to a counter rucker in regards to playing the ball, and playing the man on the opposing team who's in the scrummy position, pulling the ball...
  15. J

Matching Numbers?

So I know this is a really elementary question (I'm just double checking myself), but when the team throwing in at the lineout sets the maximum numbers in their lineout, the thrower is not included in that number for the opposing team to match, correct? I.e: Team A is throwing in at the...
  16. J

Law 10.4 (o) - Foul Play - Late-charging the kicker

Perhaps it's just bad wording, but according to the last sentence of section (o) of Law 10.4, is it: A) technically possible to take a PK inside of an opponents in-goal area?; and B) take a PK in an area that is less than 5m away from the opponents try line? Law 10.4 (o) : If the ball lands...
  17. J

Tackle and Tackle Assist Questions

Hey, So I was just wondering about a few things: First, where in the law book does it mention the proper way a tackle should occur? I read over the tackle section in hopes of seeing those infamous words some coaches like to throw around "no attempt to wrap" but I saw nothing of the sort...
  18. J

Silly or Flexible Laws That You Bend or Outright Ignore

So what are some "silly", "interpretable", or "flexible" laws that you in the past or typically don't exactly enforce or bend? (I assume the answers will be circumstantial.) I was going to go first, but I realized the law I was flexible on I misinterpreted anyway, and the action occurred in...
  19. J

Law 19.5 (b) - Player With Foot In Touch Question

Law 19.5 (b) : If a player with one or both feet on or beyond the touch-line (or touch-in-goal line), picks up the ball, which was in motion within the playing area, that player is deemed to have picked up the ball in touch (or touch-in-goal). What is this saying exactly? Am I correct to read...
  20. J

How Long To Attempt To Alert The Referee

Hi, Yesterday I AR'ed my first game (which was my friends first game in which he was refereeing.) It was a U18 High School level game here in the USA. Though expected to be a sloppy match of sorts, it actually ran rather smoothly. Though there were two major occurrences during the game in...