Search results

1. S

Tackle height stuff

At the national level, the tackle height changes will be in effect starting 9/1/24 (the competition year runs Sep-Aug). At the regional/local level, they are in effect immediately (excepting Super Regionals/Nationals events for the 2023/4 competition year and U19).
  2. S

Where are you this weekend - 2023/24?

Covering 3-4 games at Dawgtown 7s, then walking over to SeatGeek Stadium to work the TZ for Seawolves/Hounds.
  3. S

Cramps

Outside of properly hydrating in the leadup, interested to hear others’ tips and stories for cramps during/after a game. No matter the conditions, I always pack a bottle of Pedialyte and a jar of pickles. I’ve heard athletic trainers tell stories of raiding concession stands for mustard...
  4. S

Best laid plans of mice and men 7s event cancelled, so doing a high school festival instead. Starts around 9, temps will be below 40F and windy.
  5. S

Penalty Try *and* penalty restart

Restarts after a score are 12.4 Drop-outs are 12.11-19
  6. S

Lindenwood Women's 7s in the morning AR'ing Lindenwood Men's 1sts against Adrian at 7pm
  7. S

Penalty Try *and* penalty restart

Last weekend, a senior referee described an incident where a defender led with knees as an attacker was in the act of scoring. He couldn’t definitively determine whether the ball had been grounded, so gave the PT and restarted with a penalty to the attacking side on the halfway. IMO, this was...
  8. S

City 7s in Kansas City - another road trip, only 4+ hours this time.
  9. S

Try line scenario

There are clips on YouTube of this scenario happening - if the ball is on the line, the ruck is over. As long as the grounder was in an onside position prior to attempting the ground, it's a try.
  10. S

Enforcing 7s scrum binding

Hooker was not grasping anything. In hindsight, I could have pinged the offending side in the first game, but instead chose to manage it, giving them the benefit of the doubt, and it was borne out by compliance the rest of that game. Clearly the message didn’t fully sink in, given that it...
  11. S

Hooker had his arms around the props, but wasn’t bound in. Very much appreciate the feedback here - it crossed my mind a couple times on the long trek back, and wanted outside input.
  12. S

Refereed at a 7s event yesterday way out of my normal jurisdiction. Was running touch and saw one team that at scrums, the hooker did not bind on nor did the props bind to him. First game I had with them, I told and showed them at scrum time I expected compliance. They complied the entire...
  13. S

Juggling ball now NOT in possession

I agree, but the way I see it the attacker never attempted to control the ball - he was tackled before he could even make an attempt.
  14. S

Juggling ball now NOT in possession

IMO, he never had a chance to get the ball under control because of the tackle. The YC/PT are because of where it happened - a try is probably scored if not for the offense.
  15. S

Sevens prep begins - heading 7-800mi RT to Memphis for Bluff City 7s.
  16. S

Quiet weekend

Law definition of a knock-on requires the player to catch it, so I would say still a knock-on.
  17. S

Local society banquet Friday night, AGM Saturday morning. Regional Club/Referee AGMs Saturday, hosted by local society. Glad my society finally gets to host, but with all the prep going into it, i'll be glad when Saturday night I can sit and relax with a slice of pizza and a cold one.
  18. S

Are you ready for .... <drumroll> Player Mic !!

Maybe, but the production company would probably screen for players who would be willing to tone it down for TV purposes.
  19. S

Headline news or hidden away?

Echoing Volun-selected, it's no longer venting once the source hits send/post.
  20. S

Headline news or hidden away?

IMO, doesn't mean a hill of beans unless there are actual consequences. If one of these jackwagons has to pay the piper or gets thrown in the slammer, then I'll consider it a positive.