Search results

1. S

Jumper Dummy Throw

Came up in my society's group chat, and found that there's nothing in law accounting for it At a lineout, the jumper catches the ball off the top. Jumper then dummies a pass; the defensive line buys it and comes up, now offside because the ball hasn't left the lineout. General consensus is to...
  2. S

Cramps

Outside of properly hydrating in the leadup, interested to hear others’ tips and stories for cramps during/after a game. No matter the conditions, I always pack a bottle of Pedialyte and a jar of pickles. I’ve heard athletic trainers tell stories of raiding concession stands for mustard...
  3. S

Penalty Try *and* penalty restart

Last weekend, a senior referee described an incident where a defender led with knees as an attacker was in the act of scoring. He couldn’t definitively determine whether the ball had been grounded, so gave the PT and restarted with a penalty to the attacking side on the halfway. IMO, this was...
  4. S

Enforcing 7s scrum binding

Refereed at a 7s event yesterday way out of my normal jurisdiction. Was running touch and saw one team that at scrums, the hooker did not bind on nor did the props bind to him. First game I had with them, I told and showed them at scrum time I expected compliance. They complied the entire...
  5. S

Non-throwing hooker

Clip Is 18.15 one of those laws that is technically there, but isn't really enforced in 15s? Within my society, it's one of the laws given emphasis when transitioning to 7s, but was surprised to see it ignored in a knockout game. For context - immediately prior to the LO, the defending side's'...
  6. S

Write-On Cards

Anyone have experience with them? Debating picking up a couple sets, and curious to get others’ input before doing so.
  7. S

Ending the game vs “coaching”

I had a collegiate conference game that featured a number of newer players on both sides. At 79:01, Blue scores. After the conversion, Blue is down 1. As I jog back to the center at 79:55 I tell both teams “next dead ball ends it.” Blue catches the restart, but 2-3 phases in is penalized for...
  8. S

Weather contingencies for knockout game

This past Saturday, I was assigned as a #4 for a high-level knockout game (Life @ Lindenwood). Scheduled for a 7pm KO, but due to incoming weather was moved up to 5:45pm. Five minutes in, game stopped due to lightning. Over the next 2+ hours, discussions are had between TPTB. Once talk moved to...
  9. S

Managing Repeated Cynical YCs

My game last weekend was a friendly college B side game - play was physical and fast, but a lot of mistakes due to inexperience. I issued four YCs (3-1 split) for one particular sequence - I award a pen to the attackers <22m from the goal line, quick-tap, defender who had clearly not retreated...
  10. S

7s speed/sprint program

As a referee, my goal within the next year is to get an invite to the regional 7s circuit/series. In speaking with the assigner (who observed my most recent match), his response was to work on my sprinting, as the top speed I was hitting was not where it should be for high-level 7s. If anyone...
  11. S

Rugby Xplorer

Now that the USA is switching from SportLomo to Xplorer, any seasoned users have any advice, tips, tricks? I'll have three different "roles" within Xplorer (ref, local admin, regional admin), so I'd rather learn from others' mistakes/experiences.
  12. S

Fixing a touch flag

I have a set of flags with wood handles (that look like drumsticks), and the glue holding the cloth to the wood has evaporated after maybe a year (I blame the summer weather that started two months ago). My initial thought is to take some gorilla glue to it, but am curious as to other remedies.
  13. S

*Not* Respecting the kicker

Not my game, but comes from a match report within my union. Visiting side scores a try at the death to level the score. First conversion attempt, an opposing player yells during the charge. Referee calls a re-kick, no charge down allowed. During the second attempt, a home supporter shouts...
  14. S

GLTs and 7s

Last weekend, I refereed at a 7s tournament where the GLTs were in full force. During the tournament, word went out (on a FB page, if memory serves) from the NGB that 7s events are *not* to use the GLTs. Is there something in writing from WR about this, or is this just the US of A marching to...
  15. S

[Tackle] Position at tap FK/penalty

When a side is awarded a PK/FK and are going to tap, assuming it's not a quick tap and you have time to get into position, what is the best position to take relative to the attacking side? If I see pods forming, I usually try to set up 1-2m directly behind the player taking the tap so as to be...
  16. S

[Tackle] Squeeze Ball

After my match this weekend, I had a coach ask me about squeeze ball. He indicated that a referee 2-3 weeks prior had penalized the BC at every single instance of it. I know that it is illegal at U19 and below, but the only thing I can find is something that is on the *old* law website under...
  17. S

First game back jitters

On 9/18, I'll be in the middle for my first game in 18 months. I've brushed up on the law variations and have been working on my fitness 2-3 nights per week. The game itself is low stakes (B side match for two college sides), but I still want to give the players a good game. For those who...
  18. S

[Law] 50/22 from a FK

At my society’s meeting, the question came up of whether a FK could be kicked for a 50/22, assuming the mark was at or behind the halfway. My inclination is yes, but has this come up for anyone?
  19. S

Coronavirus Impact

The impact of the pandemic on the professional game is well-documented, but has it started to impact the amateur game? I just got an email this morning that a 7s tournament scheduled for March 28 is cancelled, as the host school has put a halt to all club sports.
  20. S

Touch call before fracas (Exeter/Saracens)

I didn't get a chance to watch the actual game, but in watching the official highlight package, it's hard to tell where the BC went into touch from the eye in the sky angle provided, and there's no close-up angle provided in the vid due to the handbags. I can't link to the vid directly from...