Search results

1. S

4th and 5th officials in the pro game

So with the recent problems in the Quins Bath game, I was just wondering how are the 4th and 5th officials picked in England ? In Ireland in the URC the 4th would usually but not always be a local (from the province that the game is played in) member of the national panel of refs the 5th would...
  2. S

RWC appointments

So Wayne Barnes at last gets a much deserved RWC final, Still at the top of his game. At the start I thought that Luke Pearse might run him close and Im at a loss as to why he didnt get any games after the group stage. Was he injured ?
  3. S

Training on a bike

I have a problem with my hips that means I cant do much running for training. I've been told to keep my running to match days only. I've recently bought a turbo trainer for my bike and signed up to Zwift, what kind of training on the bike would be best to keep me fit for reffing ?
  4. S

Offside when ball goes dead

Red have a ruck on their 5m line. The ball is passed back to red 10 who is deep in goal and he kicks for touch and finds it. Blue take a QTI and red12 who was ahead of the kicker and has advanced is in a position to make a tackle. Is red 12 offside ? or has the ball going dead negated the fact...
  5. S

Sin Bin

If a player is YCd is it specified where they must sit ? Can they sit with their teammates or take part in a warm up with them ? Can a coach sit down beside them and talk to them during the 10mins ?
  6. S

[Law] Penalties and keeping track of them

The last few games Ive done , ive noticed that there are a lot of pens in the games. I struggle to keep track of them, ive tried ticking my scorecard but when there are a few quickly taken pens you may not get the chance to do this. The pens in question are spread out over the game and havent...
  7. S

[Scrum] Scrum on the 22

Blue have a defensive scrum on their 22m . They are inside the 22 for the purposes of a kick. If they get a slight nudge on but the scrum goes down (no offence, simple slip) and you reset it, do you reset it on the 22m line or where they ended up ie: just outside the 22 ?
  8. S

Brought into touch game over ? France V Scotland

In the French game, France kicked for touch with the clock in the red. Scottish player caught the ball before it had crossed the plane of touch with his feet on the line, therefore he had made the ball dead. Shouldnt that have been the end of the game ?
  9. S

[Law] Injuries and "Injuries"

Whats the accepted norm for stopping play ? Normally I will stop play or wont restart until a player can get to their feet, by and large it works well and id be consistent about it. When you get to the point of a team having "injuries" at virtually every break in play as they are hanging on to...
  10. S

[Scrum] Replacement for front row

Blue team submit a team sheet with 20 players listed. They list a replacement hooker no 16 (starts on the bench) and they list the replacement prop as no 2 (the starting hooker). If the hooker gets injured and goes off the blue team are no longer in a position to meet the criteria of having...
  11. S

Primary duties

I was AR in a game recently, a few levels above my reffing level. Red 14 had the ball inside the blue 22 and kicked ahead down the touchline, red 15 jumps to block the kick and deliberately IMO moves his body (leg) to impede Red 14 who goes to ground. I flag the incident and look back to...
  12. S

[Tackle] Foul play or accident ?

https://youtu.be/LDhdBM_L0lM?t=1380 Replays start at 23.00 on the video. Watch the action of Wiliams (blue 14) on Griffen (green 12). For me its a strange way to get rid of a player , most would push them to one side and return to the defensive line. It looks wrong and deliberate. Griffen...
  13. S

Life Ban on the way hopefully

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706383-french-rugby-league-player-punches-ref-unconscious-faces-lifetime-ban Terrible sucker punch. Interesting the way the players rounded on him. Club president didnt want him to play as he was just returning from a 4 match ban. He has resigned as he wants...
  14. S

Pen taken from wrong spot

Had a game today, Red awarded a pen , I make a mark and they kick for touch. In kicking for touch the kicker goes well past the mark and sneaks an extra metre. I have a quick word and tell him not to steal extra metres . 2nd kick he does the same thing long run up and well past the mark, I...
  15. S

[Law] Pen kick at goal

Pen is awarded to blue. Blue indicate a kick at goal. As the blue kicker approaches to kick the ball it falls over. He elects to drop kick it and puts it through the posts. Can the opposition now charge the drop goal kick ? Does the drop goal attempt have to be through the original mark ...
  16. S

Ref sued in civil case, concussion death

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/parents-of-rugby-player-benjamin-robinson-issue-legal-proceedings-1.2847339 Its clearly a tragic situation, but it could have serious consequences on getting coaches and refs if this case is successful. Who would want to be a ref if you were wide open to...
  17. S

[Law] Blood replacement front rows

In the Connacht Glasgow game yesterday Connacht had used up all of their front row subs (all injured) when another prop picked up a cut and had to leave the field. They tried to to replace him with a second row but we're not allowed as they were now in uncontested scrum territory. There was...
  18. S

New Scrum Laws

Am I correct in saying that the new scrum laws now mean that if a scrum collapses that we can now play on ? 8.3 (d), (e) and (f)WHEN THEADVANTAGE LAWIS NOT APPLIED Delete: (d) Collapsed scrum. Advantage must not be applied when a scrum collapses. The refereemust blow the whistle immediately...
  19. S

A danger to himself

I reffed a game last week U16, coach told me that there was special needs player on the wing as they were short numbers. I asked did I need to know anything else and said no,his law knowledge was poor and that offside would be his failing. I said that i would manage that but they risked Pens if...
  20. S

[Law] Tech zone question

Bit of guidance needed. 3 people allowed in the tech zones , everyone else outside the ropes. That's the regulation in our neck of the woods. I was was running the line for my son who was reffing his first competitive game so was mindful of keeping them out of his hair so to speak. They (...