Search results

1. S

SH's tapping each other to force put in

Something to be aware of and maybe others have witnessed this. I was an AR yesterday and at one of the first scrums, the non putting in SH tapped the putting in SH on the shoulder to imitate the ref and get the put at his pace and not the referees. A score came from the scrum and I had words...
  2. S

Not "taking the hit"

Hello all, Apologies if this has already been discussed before, but I cant seem to find it I know that the "set" is an invitation for both sides, but had this scenario yesterday. One side were in the ascendancy against the opposition at scrum time. Went through the crouch, touch, set, and the...
  3. S

Season so far.

With no more games in this year I thought I would post my stats for the season so far: Games referreed 22 Home wins 10 Away wins 12 Home points 315 Away points 408 Home tries 50 Away tries 64 Home yellows 13 Away yellows 15 Home reds 1 Away reds 3 So 22 games done 28 yellows. Out of those 22...
  4. S

Quick lineout.

Got asked this question before my game today. They didnt try it, so not an issue. I have looked in the law book, but cant find a direct reference to it. Thoughts please. Anyway, at a lineout, team throwing in huddle a few feet away from their side of the lineout, they then approach the line as...
  5. S

Feeding at uncontested scrums

Hello all, Had occasion to go to uncontested scrum today, due to an incident (another story). However at the next scrum I made it clear that everything stays the same, ball down middle, binding, not breaking early etc etc. No problems to start with. Then at one scrum the scrum half puts the...
  6. S

Re start not 10

Yesterday the home team kicked off following a score. The ball didnt make the required 10m, but after a couple of bounces and still not 10m was played by the opposition. A maul ensued in which the away team lost the ball. The home team then managed to get the ball to 5m from try line where a...
  7. S

report cards differing opinions

Had a nice friendly 2nd team fixture yesterday home team lost by 17 points in the end. Anyway got report cards back from captains home team all G. Away team 1 G, majority MD and 3 of ND.The 3 ND were for after tackle, ruck and maul. Talked to captain whose view was seeing as they had won the...
  8. S

A blonde moment

Had my 1st game of the season yesterday, everything going swimmingly well, then I award a scrum to one side, got the second rows in and BLANK, NOTHING! My mind went completely vacant i knew i was supposed to say something but for the life of me i couldnt remember what! Eventually after what...
  9. S

contested-uncontested-contested, can it happen

I had a match yesterday, merit table game, where it started off fine with contested scrums. Throughout the match there were injuries, replacements were found, no problems but further injuries meant we were left with no option but to go uncontested. Then about ten minutes later, there appeared a...
  10. S

Touch judge course

Hello all, I know there are a couple of you out there at least, who have just done the touch judge course. Upon completion what does it get you in terms of appointments etc. Do you get put on a list similar to the referees one, within you region, and therefore kept busy at weekends, or is it...
  11. S

Another whistle

Hello all, not so much as a bad experience, just unusual, and would like opinions please. Doing a second team game today, home side winning by 30ish points, set up a ruck on oppos 22m line, 15m in from side. I am standing 5-10m further infield looking toward ruck area. Ball comes back, no...
  12. S

New RFU abuse stand

Why does the new player and official abuse protocol state it is for level 12 to premiership? Surely it should be right across the board from bottom to top. A new referee starting out at level 15 needs to have the confidence that any misdemeanour will be dealt with by the authorities and not to...
  13. S

4th Official responsibilities

Hello All, I possibly have the chance of being a 4th official in the not too distant future. Too give me a head start I was wondering what the responsibilities are. I know they would include such things as; timekeeping, substitutions, sin bins, reserve touch judge and blood replacements. Is...
  14. S

Reffing your home club

Hello all, I had occasion yesterday to ref my home clubs 4th team and it got me wondering. Firstly, 1st class referees, do they support/members of (if allowed to)premiership clubs and do they get to ref them or are they kept clear of them to avoid accusations of biase. Secondly, do you ref your...
  15. S

Pre-grip and Supporting - Whats the difference

Hello, law 19.9 (g) Support before jumping A player must not support a team mate before the team mate has jumped. and 19.9 (j) Pre-grip below the waist A player must not pre-grip any team mate below the waist both of which have the same penalty - free kick on the 15 metre line. My question is...
  16. S

Tackler or not

I know that the ball carrier is not considered tackled until he has gone to ground, but, are you a tackler or not if you stay on your feet, or do you have to got to ground and then stand up to gain all the priviliges that position allows. For instance, two players tackle the ball carrier...
  17. S

quick line out - in and out of the 22m

whilst watching England v Australia 2nd test, Ian Balshaw caught a kick out of touch and proceeded to take a quick line out to Varndell, I think, and play carried on, no problems. However, where he caught the ball, if he had taken a large deliberate step to his left and thrown it in, he would...
  18. S

Dragons v Parma

Just watched this on telly. Well last night anyway. Dragons won a line out in Parma 22. Parma steal line out and pass through hands to a kicker who subsequently kicks it out. The kicker was standing with one foot on the try line (in-goal). Referee gives a 5metre scrum attacking (dragons) put in...