Search results

1. D

Maul turnovers and kicks

Really confused performance from Garces today on this area. First half he awarded a scrum to the wrong team because he forgot it was direct from a kick, only for red 9 to correct him and he changed his mind - ok, fine. Second half he gives a scrum to the catcher's team after a kick from a...
  2. D

[Law] Player tackles referee

Anyone see this? http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/adrumm/watch-argentinian-player-faces-three-year-ban-taking-referee-no-arms-tackle/ :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:
  3. D

[Law] World Rugby Regulation 8 - next senior fifteen a side teams?

Just been reading Regulation 8 on international eligibility. Once a player has played for either the Senior XV, next Senior XV or the 7s team they are locked in to that country. Does anyone know where there is a list of 'next Senior XVs' by nation. For example is it the u20s or NZ Maoris for...
  4. D

Primary Rugby League for u10s/u11s

I've been refereeing mini/junior rugby union for a couple of seasons but my son is now playing rugby league in the Summer. He's an u11. I think that the correct laws are here:- http://media.rladmin.co.uk/docs/RFL%20Primary%20RL%20Handbook%202016.pdf Anybody got any experience of these...
  5. D

[Law] Penalties - kick to touch or 'just take the lineout'

Sorry if this has been discussed previously, I did a search and couldn't find it! Has there been a change to the laws regarding kicking to touch from a penalty. Twice over the weekend I think I heard referees say "You can just take the lineout", instead of actually having to perform the...
  6. D

u14 game - pushed into touch in goal - what's the decision?

This is something from my son's game on Saturday. He's in the u14s so playing RFU junior regs. The opposition winger (very speedy, good player) beat three or four defenders and crossed the tryline in the corner. Before he managed to ground the ball one of the defenders pushed him into touch...
  7. D

"Ruck won" or "Ball lost" or "Let it come"

Watching the TV you often hear the referee say "Ruck won" or "Ball lost" or "Let it come". What are players supposed to understand from this? A refereeing mate of mine told me that he had been told by some coaches that he should be calling "Ruck won" and that the defending team should "stop...
  8. D

First season in Juniors - some questions

My older son starts his u13 season next weekend. I'm based in the UK and have refereed minis for years and have done my ELRA. But I must admit the move to 15-a-side, on a full size pitch, is a little daunting. So, does anyone have any useful pointers specifically for those making the move...
  9. D

Fouled immediately after scoring a try - penalty restart?

Two questions:- 1) Have I imagined that a referee can award a penalty restart from halfway in the event of foul play immediately after a try has been scored (e.g. defender knee drops into try scorer on the ground)? I can't find the law reference for this. 2) Assuming the above is correct, what...
  10. D

New Rules of Play u9s - restarting after an injury

Watched my younger son play a festival game under the NROP for the first time a couple of weeks back (I'm normally with my older boy). They were playing the unlimited tackles variant which I dont think works as well as the 6 tackle variant. Anyway, my particular query at this level is how...
  11. D

Serious Injury Protocol for Minis

One of the u12s lads I coach had a knee disclocation yesterday. The referee did some common-sense things that, in retrospect, I'm not sure I'd have thought of in the heat of the moment. I figured I'd share them here to see if anyone can add further ideas or make use of the info, should they be...
  12. D

Sports glasses now banned beyond tag?

Hi all - first post so sorry if this isn't the right forum for my question! My youngest son has just started u9 level. One of his friends, who has played tag since he was 5 (and contact rugby league all Summer), has just been informed that he cannot play u9 contact rugby union because the...