Search results

1. S

Maul moves into the in-goal....

.... How long after maul has ended up in the in-goal is a reasonable time to try and ground the ball? and presumably its held-up if not grounded? I watched a county match at the end of last season, where the maul was allowed to roll into the in-goal and was allowed to continue for some time...
  2. S

Not rolling away

At a tackle, red tackling blue ball carrier, red tries to roll away, but ends up on Blue's side, but can't get up but isn't in the way of the 9 passing out. I call 'roll away red' but he can't - do we ping for it, or let blue try and play out if they have the opportunity to do it? Had this...
  3. S

Offside when collecting a dropped ball?

Blue kick a 22D/O, red player attempts to catch but fluffs it and it bounces forwards off his legs - no knock on. Another red player who was in front of him (nearer the oppositions try line) then collects the ball from the ground. Is this offside? Lots of grief from a player for this one - I...
  4. S

Dragging out of a maul

Lots of juniors games I've reffed recently where I still see players trying to rip players out of a maul - it's a penalty (17.3 (a)), but so many kids are doing it - anyone else seen this? I'm beginning to wonder if it's actually coached...
  5. S

tackled near the try line

Player gets tackled very near try line. Tries to reach out immediately and score but can't quite reach. Immediately then reaches back to present to his team-mates who have finally arrived. PK for handling on the ground? Or justified attempt? This happened to me, and I tried to reach out and...
  6. S

Ball thrown beyond the lineout

When can players not in the line-out come off the 10m offside line, if the hooker throws intentionally beyond 15m? Is it once the ball has passed the 15m line? Or is it as soon as the ball has left his hands?
  7. S

End of match

Clock runs down between conversion kick and restart, as the players are wandering back to take the restart. Do we just blow to finish the game? Didn't feel right when I did it, as there was enough time to kick off again, but by the time they'd sauntered back up to the half way line, time was up...
  8. S

Ball dropped while trying to score

Quick one this... Player drops ball as he crosses the line and it rolls forward, but not TIG, or over the DBL. No-one does anything - they all look at it. If defenders make it dead, it's a 22 DO. If defenders pick it up and try and play on, then advantage to them...? If attacker realises...
  9. S

Maul turns into tug of war...

U13 match. Red v purple. Purple 7 takes ball into maul. Purple drive forwards. Players come out of maul as it twists and drives forwards. Then, all that's left is purple 7 and red 5 holding onto ball while every other player stands and watches (very common at U13!). Tug of war continues...
  10. S

Offside 'near' the tackle...?

Red vs blue - open play. Blue 7 gets tackled by red 6. No ruck formed, ball is dropped by blue 7 and pings out of the tackle area backwards and to the side by 2 metres. Red 4, who is in front of red 7, but down the line 3 metres, rushes over and picks up the ball. is he offside? And...
  11. S

22 Drop Out Into Wind

Red 22 drop out - red kicks ball, but it disappears into the sun, ends up behind the 22 again and played by red. Not sure if the ball crossed the 22 - think it did - but it curled/blew back behind the 22. Play on?
  12. S

Ball on the ground, after tackle...

Red ball carrier tackled by blue. Red 9 ends up in resulting ruck, pulls himself out and ends up in a heap on the floor behind the ruck, while the rest of the red forwards push on - and the ball is now available to reds. Does red 9 need to get to his feet to play (i.e. pass) the ball? or is...
  13. S

Intercepting a pass 'from behind'... 'Offside'?

Evening all. I know this was previously answered in another thread, in a roundabout way, but I've invited some fellow coaches to take a look at this forum - in particular for this question, but for general stuff in the future. so... A breakdown occurs on the pitch. Red and blue players form...
  14. S

Actions at the tackle

Evening all - I'm new to the forum, having been through ELRA (as it was) earlier in the year, and having been reffing U13/12/11/10 for the last few years (also head coach at our juniors club) .... so sorry if this has already been covered....but i'm registering with the Berks Soc and am reffing...