Search results

1. T

[Law] Substitutions

What would you do if a coach/captain wanted to make a substitution but the player on the field refused to leave the pitch? This relates to something that happened in football (soccer) at the weekend - link below - and also to a story Joe Marler told on the House of Rugby podcast where, knowing...
  2. T

[6N] Wayne Barnes communication

I thought Wayne Barnes dealt with Saturday's ending as best he could, and showed himself one of the best and calmest operators in our little reffing world. One "criticism" I would have would be some of his communication to and about players. I know it is different at international level and they...
  3. T

[In-goal] Downward pressure / in control

Debate rising again possibly after incident in the France-Scotland game... comments about control/downward pressure in the act of scoring... My understanding - if player is holding the ball, they only need to maintain contact with the ball while placing it into in goal (no "downward pressure...
  4. T

Penalty - back 10m

Asked this by a coach: Blue awarded a penalty. Blue 9 takes a quick tap. Red 9 has anticipated the penalty and has retreated 10m. He then runs forward and legally tackles blue 9 - say about 5m forward from the penalty mark. Other red players, who have never retreated the full 10m, but who have...
  5. T

[Scrum] Standing up in the scrum

This post on SA refs interested me - the third point made here: http://www.sareferees.com/laws/view/2831088/ We routinely seem to see penalties for standing up in the scrum. What are these actually being given for at elite level as standing up is not a punishable offense? Losing binding may be...
  6. T

[Ruck] SA refs on offside (hands in front)

In the below link the SA ref site comments on a 6N game using the "new" or "trial" laws that refer to the Breakdown (rather than Ruck) as law 16. This seems at worst plain wrong or possibly just misleading because those changes to the laws are only a trial, are not relevant to all levels of...
  7. T

[In-goal] PK through dead ball/TIG

What is the decision if a penalty is kicked through the dead ball line or into touch in goal (having not touched a defending player), when the penalty kick has been taken from outside the 22m... a) When it is a place kick b) When it is kicked from hand (in effect a kick to touch gone wrong) I...