Search results

1. Dixie

Premiership Final

Can anyone make use of (no need to pay for!) 4 tickets to the final? I know a guy who knows a guy who can't now go.
  2. Dixie

Adding time for a kicker to tie laces prior to a kick?

During Ireland's trouncing of SA this weekend, Johnny Sexton kicked at goal so often his shoelaces wore out, requiring adjustment before a conversion. This set me wondering about the order of priority of the following laws: 5.4(b) ... Time is allowed for a player to re-tie a boot-lace...
  3. Dixie

Vakatawa hard done by?

Final pass from Biggar is knocked forward by Vakatawa in the process of making a tackle. The tackle was a textbook double-arm wrap - perhaps the most suspicious thing about it. Earned V a YC. Fair call?
  4. Dixie

Scotland v Italy

When Venditi knocked on with a foot in touch, was Nigel correct to overrule the throw to Italy in favour of what the commentators call the 1st offence - being the knock on while in touch?
  5. Dixie

Consequences of egregious refereeing errors at the pro level (in Wales)

Over the weekend, the referee of the Blues v Scarlets game made a horrendous error, YC-ing a player who was held back and dragged to ground while chasing a kick ahead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVh-jmw9yts Ignoring the irony that it was his own brother playing for the oppo who held him...
  6. Dixie

Any recommendations for where to live in Leicestershire?

So I'm thinking of retiring (from work, obviously - retired from reffing a while ago) and moving to Leicestershire. Location parameters are: Pretty village Energy efficient modern property Easy access to M1 North Good recreational facilities nearby Striking distance of Welford Road for Tigers...
  7. Dixie

NZ v Wales 3rd Test - odd occurrences

Strange that there is as yet no thread on the refereeing of this test. Perhaps I have missed it - or no-one thought the game worth watching. At about 25 minutes, NZ have a 5m scrum. Wales lock out, but NZ put on immense pressure. As a result, the Welsh prop is lifted extremely dangerously...
  8. Dixie

Referee involved in fabricating a league score

Blackberry makes reference to this in another thread, but as it involved a club I once played for I thought I would make specific reference to it. http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/14...en_called_off/...
  9. Dixie

Jonathan Sexton to face probe over "play acting"

During France v Scotland, Alex Dunbar received a YC for a dump tackle that was reviewed on the screen and determined to cross the line for a lift tackle, with Sexton's legs above his waist. It was a marginal case as there was not much of a lift (if any). It is now reported that JS is to face...
  10. Dixie

Rucking is by definition reckless and dangerous

In the 6N game between England and Ireland, Mike Brown found himself on his feet in a ruck - which in today's world proves that he is unfamiliar with that particular phase of play. He elected to use his feet to try to get possession of the ball - or more accurately, to prevent Ireland getting...
  11. Dixie

Straight red = PK only?

Hi guys I didn't see this game, but this from the Times's report of Danny Cipriani channelling Dylan Hartley: Cipriani did not swear at Barnes, but his language was strong enough for the referee to take exception and halt the game. Barnes called over Dan Braid, the Sale captain, and delivered...
  12. Dixie

RIP Richie Benaud

As someone deeply disinterested in the alleged sport of Cricket, I can nevertheless recognise the huge loss to the world in the passing of Sir Richie. He was a tremendous broadcaster, and those older than myself identify him as one of the most gifted leg spinners ever to have graced the...
  13. Dixie

Last play advantage

So it's a tight game, with White dominant but finding every possible means of butchering scoring opportunities. Blue have been outplayed, but a combination of plucky, resolute defence and their oppo's incompetence means they are only marginally behind in the closing seconds. White attack...
  14. Dixie

Bravo KLM1

One of the tightest TMO calls I've seen for a while during Bath v Northampton. Handled with great aplomb by KML1 of this parish - beard very neatly trimmed as well. Top job. Greg Garner facilitated an excellent game by relaxing his breakdown management - equal for both sides, but plenty of...
  15. Dixie

2015 6N predictathon

Anyone care to do the admin to make the traditional predictathon work? I ask because a have a strange and bizarre feeling that England will do well under the lights (and the roof) on Friday night.
  16. Dixie

Unconscious offending?

I was watching a L.6 game over the weekend. Close match, two points between the teams, 30 minutes into the 2nd half. The ref was having a hard time keeping the breakdown clean, and had clearly decided to rein in all leeway and insist on quality. He had spoken to the captains - presumably to...
  17. Dixie

Little bit of politics - let's keep it civil

So UKIP - the United Kingdom Independence Party - has taken first place in the elections for British MEPs, bagging at least 23 seats with Labour and Conservative tied on 18 with only the Western Isles of Scotland left to declare. This is the first time in 100 years that neither of the two main...
  18. Dixie

HC Semi - Niggle Owens makes some big, big calls

Surprised no-one has yet commented on St Nigel's decision for a PT and YC in the Sarries v Clermont Auvergne HC semi final. Someone with better skills than me will doubtless post a clip. Red charge-down a White kick in goal, ball goes high, remains in-goal and is dropping to a red player about...
  19. Dixie

France - close but no cigar.

Having missed a simple kick and butchered a scoring pass, all they needed to do was drop a goal to win at the end. So why did they run the ball into Ireland's choke defence? Had they dropped that goal, they would have beaten both the primary contenders for the championship at the last ditch...
  20. Dixie

Burrell was robbed!

Good of the ref to spot and penalise an Italian player who played the ball when ahead of a team mate who kicked the ball out of Burrell's hand, but surely the act of kicking the ball to prevent Burrell scoring should have been a YC and a PT? 15.6(j) When a tackled player reaches out to ground...