Search results

1. Z

Defending locks in a maul

Why do referees allow a defending lock in a maul to reach over with both arms to try and pull in the ball carrier? By definition if they are using both arms they cannot be bound. Seems to be accepted practice at professional level but I don’t understand why its OK. Seen for this post in SA...
  2. Z

Charge down through in goal

Need a consult with the RugbyRef Hive Mind. What is the decision if there is a charge down from a kick inside the 22, and the ball goes through the in goal area? And can you give a law reference to back the decision? I've been through the law book but can't find this specific scenario...
  3. Z

Playing the ball whilst on the ground

There were a couple of instances at the weekend during 6N games of players playing the ball when they were on the ground. For example ball comes out of a ruck/tackle area, a player still off their feet from a previous phase gathers the ball and passes it on, or even tackles a player before...
  4. Z

Erasmus banned form all rugby for 2 months, mathday activity for 12 months

WR have issued the report in the ‘Erasmus’ video. Ronnie Erasmus was found guilty of all 6 charges and banned from all rugby activity for 2 months, and match day activities for 12 months. SARU were fined £20,000 for 1 charge. Full judgement is here...
  5. Z

[6N] Caterpillars getting out of hand?

I have no real problem with the caterpillar at the back of a ruck. There is a law to get the SH to hurry up (although I'd prefer the use it was 3 seconds not 5). But I'm getting very frustrated with referees not calling the ball out for players in the caterpillar not bound. They join by...
  6. Z

[Law] Penalise teams late onto the field

I’d like the hive minds opinion on when you would penalise a team for being late onto the field of play with a penalty. one team was late today leading to a 1402 KO instead of 1400. Oppo coaches were adamant I should have given a penalty, voicing their opinions both before and after the game...
  7. Z

[Scrum] Back row angle at scrum

Had a game recently where one team was clearly dominating in the scrum - result lots of penalties against the dominated scrum for various offences, usually collapsing, standing up, not driving straight etc. once they started going backwards. The coach of this team was adamant the offence was...
  8. Z

[RWC] The woes of the scrum

The England-Australia game showed, in the first 10 minutes, al that is wrong with scrummaging in the international game. As we know the scrum is designed as a mechanism to restart the game following a minor offence. Knock on in the 22 around 2 mins 30, scrum time. After 3 resets including a...
  9. Z

Hard of hearing referees?

I recently found an old post about Deaf Rugby, and was surprised to find you can qualify with only moderate hearing loss (25db average). i referee and I’m now classed as severely hard of hearing. Minimum 40db loss at lower frequencies to profound, meaning total loss at higher frequencies). I...
  10. Z

[Law] Offence warranting YC the. Try, go back and YC?

Bit of advice required. game yesterday, penalty offence c.15m out, quick tap and an immediate, cynical tackle within 2m of the offence by a player who didn’t retreat. Advantage and I’m thinking YC for the offender. Phase or two later team scores before I have to go back for the penalty/YC. i...
  11. Z

[6N] IRE - FRA YC when playing advantage?

Towards the end of the first half the referee gave a warning to the French captain about offences around the maul and ruck near the French line, saying he would have to YC the next offence. Cue another maul and another French side entry - advantage Ireland. Now if the referee had blown for the...
  12. Z

[Assistant Referees] TJ report of abuse - action?

DYCWhat would be your approach if you had a club TJ report abuse from a player? I did not hear it but knew something was going on due to the attitude of the TJ who was engaging with members of the opposing team after a try. i asked him to let me deal with it and later reported a player had...
  13. Z

[6N] Wales vs France 3rd Welsh try - Knock on?

The third welsh try was an interception by George North, where he initially knocked the ball up and forward with an outstretched right arm before gathering and sprinting through to score. Any thoughts this could be considered a deliberate knock-on? And if this one isn't, what scenario would...
  14. Z

[Law] WHat sanction for coaches coming onto the pitch?

I am seeing increasing issues with coaches coming into the playing area when not permitted. There are lots of times they leave the technical area, this I can deal with (if it repeats) by removing them from the playing enclosure. Is that the only sanction to me if a coach comes on the pitch as...
  15. Z

[Law] Where is the best place to find sanctions these days

With the changes/simplification (!) of the law book some of the sanctions for offences seem to have been removed - where would be the best place to find these? For example Law 20 Penalty and Free Kick. Lots of laws defining how a penalty or free kick must be taken, but no details of the...
  16. Z

[Law] 22 DO straight into touch

Hi all I know from the law (after I looked it up after mucking this up in a recent game) there are 4 options, retake, LO, scrum, QTI. My question is where do these options take place as the law book does not specify. For scrum it had to be on the 22, middle of the pitch. For LO I originally...
  17. Z

[Tackle] Ruck - ball not on floor?

What should happen if you get a tackle, a subsequent pile of bodies (usually with the aim of forming a ruck, maybe competing fairly in a standing position but then going to ground) but the ball never actually makes the ground? I ask as I had an incident recently which ended with several bodies...
  18. Z

[INTERNATIONAL] Scotland vs SA - LO try

Scotland’s second try came from an innovative move. Number 7 is in the receiver position, and when the LO is thrown moves into the LO to catch the ball and run through to score. I’ve been nosing around the laws and can’t see where this is permitted. There are references to having a receiver...
  19. Z

[Law] Acceptable frustration or sending off?

Couple of quotes from my match today, would you consider these acceptable frustration from losing teams or tipping into RC territory for implying or saying you are biased? 1. (Following a try after defender tackled a break near the goal line and supporting players scored - I was not over the...
  20. Z

[Scrum] Law check - scrum turnover

I've had several incidents recently when if the ball is turned over in the scrum (i.e. won by the non putting in team) the now defending team immediately rush up beyond the 5m offside line prior to the ball emerging from the scrum. TO me they are all offside as the ball has not exited the scrum...