Search results

1. V

Ireland v Wales “No onfield decision”

Game clock at 42:49 and Wales drive over a maul. Ball hidden under the dog pile so ref calls the TMO for views. TMO reads back “Onfield decision is a try…” and the Ref immediately corrects with “No onfield decision”. The TMO confirms as no decision and carries on. New protocol after the...
  2. V

Are you ready for .... <drumroll> Player Mic !!

This weekend is going to see a Bristol player wearing a mic during the game. :unsure: Anyone here get their Premiership fix via TNT Sports? I'm initially (very) skeptical about yet another gizmo but will be interested if anyone watches this and whether they find any value in this...
  3. V

WRC announce new aligned calendar

Just read this: Historic rugby calendar reform to supercharge reach and competitiveness And great to see that they now have a global calendar for women’s rugby with dedicated release windows. It also seems (at least for now) the 6N stays intact: (On a personal note, should be fun to see more...
  4. V

Penalty kick not making touch

Happened a couple of times in the Sale v, Tigers semi toward the end of the 2nd half (and I had to feel for the kicker - he must be gutted). Both were Leicester penalties; One penalty kick for touch went sailing beyond the far corner of the pitch. Another a few minutes later landed just in goal...
  5. V

Who gets the scrum after a team runs down the clock after a penalty kick?

Sorry guys, I’m overthinking it all again… The laws are pretty clear that once a team awarded a penalty decides to kick at goal they are tied in. 8.20 If the team indicates to the referee the intention to kick at goal, they must kick at goal. So what happens if a team changes their mind and...
  6. V

Jumping into a tackle

I‘m seeing a number of posts framing this as a great play off De Klerk to offload during a potential red card tackle that leads to a try. As entertaining as FDK is to watch, to me this is a clear jump into a tackle. As far as I know, there was no penalty against the two tackling players or FdK...
  7. V

IRL v FRA - Home Broadcaster Advantage?

Regarding the Irish try in the corner at 20:11 on the game clock… WB calls the TMO, same couple of angles shown - not clear & obvious so on-field decision of try stands. The TMO showed this: Yes, borderline, so not C&O. All OK. Sexton attempts the conversion, and once done (so can't undo the...
  8. V

Smart ball at the 6N

So the Beeb has that the 6N are trialing a smart ball. Anyone heard of Sportable, or seen this in action, or seen the in-game stats? Just a gimmick, or is this genuinely useful at the elite level?
  9. V

How do we report spam?

Any process in place on the board, or any option to directly tag a spam post?
  10. V

Accidental vs. Deliberate lift

The prohibition against lifting an opponent in the scrum occurs in two places: 9.19 Dangerous play in a scrum. c. A front-row player must not intentionally lift an opponent off their feet or force the opponent upwards out of the scrum. 19.37 Dangerous play in a scrum includes: c. Intentionally...
  11. V

Sharks vs. Irish - calling lineout numbers

Watching today's Sale Sharks vs. London Irish match - about 52:30 in Sale have a lineout which the ref (Karl Dickson) stops. He then says "Ten! One person said 6, one said 5. 5 man. 5. Time to adjust..." Both teams then set up and get on with it. I'm assuming that the problem was that one team...
  12. V

"No levering on an opponent"

Apologies if I'm just missing this while scanning the laws - but where does it state you can't lean on an opponent in a lineout? I can see a pretty picture in the laws (just after 18.29, and an illustration of the secondary signal for leaning on a player in the lineout - but I can't see it...
  13. V

NZ vs IRL Test 3 - Andrew Porter‘s “absorbing tackle” on Brodie Retallick

Foul play - yes. Direct contact to head - yes. Any mitigation - no. So red then? Nope. Interested on the thoughts of others on this as often this scenario ends with a straight red. According to one site the chat went: Feels like he’s seeing this as passive/accidental so but the guidelines...
  14. V

Advantage doesn’t excuse foul play

Last game I reffed, U18 boys, White were trailing by a couple of points in the last minute when they won a scrum about 15m out from Red goal line. All players know this is the last play and White keep possession and peel off and attack. Red in desperation to win the ball managed to win a...
  15. V

Does a knock-on make a ball dead - or does the whistle?

Please, bear with me - bit of a wordy one this.... We have several places where the rule book explicitly calls out 'the ball is dead' such as in the definitions (The ball is dead when the referee blows the whistle to stop play or following an unsuccessful conversion) and in several of the laws...
  16. V

How do I search?

Having a bit of a brain fade - but I cannot seem to find the option/dialog box to search forum posts for specific words. I see options to filter by date and post author, but not search for a word or phrase. I‘m currently browsing on an iPad using safari - have not checked on a PC/windows yet.
  17. V

Wal v Sco - non-players on the pitch

Bit of a moan/pet peeve - but why the hell were camera crew on the pitch at the end? I get that the chance Wales would screw-up the kick to touch was tiny but what if they had? What if the kicker had slipped or had a brain-fade or whatever - how would the teams be able to react with the cameras...
  18. V

[In-goal] Tackle from field of play into in-goal

I was reading the Danny Care try thread (https://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?22041-Danny-Care-Try) and had a question - is it a tackle if it initially occurs on the field of play but ends up in-goal? Rather than hijack that thread, I thought I’d break it out. Consider the scenario: The...
  19. V

[Law] Location of penalty for too many players

This used be quite simple in my head until I started to think about it in detail. Regarding too many players on the pitch the Law is: 3.3: A team may make an objection to the referee about the number of players in their opponents’ team. If a team has too many players, the referee orders the...
  20. V

[Law] Scoring a try against the padding/post

This question came up discussing scoring a try against the padding. Law 8.2a has: A try is scored when an attacking player: a) Is first to ground the ball in the opponents' in-goal, against the opponents' goal post or its surrounding padding. The scenario raised was this. Red attack in front...