Search results

1. number11

Offside after a kick Bath vs Gloucester

Conversely, the catcher doesn't have to run 5 meters. They could catch the ball then line up a kick from a standing position. Then opposing players would have to be back 10 meters from the ball and remain standing still.
  2. number11

Tackle height stuff

Further to Nilo's message, the lessons we received were about Head Zones. If the tackler's head is out of the ball carrier's head zone - i.e. below the level of the BC's shoulders - then the tackle is good. Equally, if the T's head is out of the zone, it's easier to judge if the BC dipped into...
  3. number11

Wales v Australia: final try

Having rewatched it's clear that at least one Welsh player stepped over the 15m line before the ball was thrown. This is the best screengrab I could get. At the moment of the ball leaving the thrower's hands Wales have 1.5 players over the line.
  4. number11

How to stop a maul without a card

Check out Tadgh Byrne's actions in South Africa's final line out to maul. He gets himself around on SA's side (thanks to their wheeling of the maul), latches on the ball carrier and prevents the immediate release of the ball. Outstanding work, all legal. (The above clip should start at 7:17)
  5. number11

RWC 2023

Is there a guide anywhere on when and how to issue yellows? I'm currently going on what I feel, but some guidelines would help (especially when explaining in the bar after the game!)
  6. number11

Veo Camera's popping up everywhere!

I've AR for the regional U16 sides. They use a similar system but with two cameras on a pole and a dedicated operator, i.e. he moves and points the camera towards the ball. That system has a dedicated mic channel, so the ref wears an extra mic that's recorded onto the video.
  7. number11

High tackles whilst diving for a try

This is great advice. I often explain the situation aloud and make the decision when I finish explaining. When players hear your reasoning, more often than not they accept the decision. For example: "Your winger dived for the line, red 7 went it low for the tackle but caught him around the...
  8. number11

Goal Line or 22 Drop out

I think this is correct. A knock on isn't taking the ball in goal legally, i.e. not carried or kicked. Unless there's tactical or territorial advantage it's back for the five meter scrum. I don't believe that making the ball dead to get a GLDO is a legal way of gaining advantage.
  9. number11

WRU launches a tackle height law trial

https://community.wru.wales/2023/06/21/new-world-rugby-global-tackle-height-law-trial-ready-to-be-launched-in-wales/ I've already seen a video with Ben Whitehouse speaking about it from a ref's point of view. It will be discussed at societies this summer.
  10. number11

Do you mind wearing this mic

Here's some further context for that clip.
  11. number11

What a week.

I was AR2 at the Welsh youth Bowl final. A fantastic experience. Looking forward to being in the middle next time though!
  12. number11

50:22 from a free kick

Sounds like Schrödinger's Try? :ROFLMAO: If the ball is grounded: Try If the ball is held up: GLD If the ball cannot be seen under a pile of bodies: Attacking scrum 5, as it can be neither discerned to be grounded nor held up. I think player knowledge of the last one would entice attackers...
  13. number11

Reckless Play - Duty of Care?

It would be reasonable to argue that leading with the head could be dangerous to others. I don't think being a ball carrier absolves them of all responsibility.
  14. number11

Quick tap and pass to runner

At junior level I try and speak with the opposition coaches before every game. It's a chance to clarify and agree upon the rules. If the ref is independent the I'd be pulling them in too.
  15. number11

Penalty kick to touch

Just a friendly reminder that this is a hypothetic answer that I gave to a hypothetic situation :).
  16. number11

Reckless Play - Duty of Care?

I think it's interesting to compare the tackle immediately after this incident. Yellow BC (Astoway?) drops his height but his shoulders are clearly above the hips. The tackle is good and they all walk away. In this incident I think he bends his knees and appears to drop his shoulder below the...
  17. number11

Unofficial referee signals?

I've also seen "Crawling" used a few times recently. All this reminds me of dance moves from the 90s, 'big fish, little fish cardboard box'.
  18. number11

Penalty kick to touch

Not sure TBH with you. I'm not sure if I would even reach that hypothetical situation. It would all depend on my mood on the day and how the teams were. I would be tempted to call the scrum though, seeing as I can do what I damn well please am the sole judge of fact and of law.
  19. number11

Penalty kick to touch

Fair enough. It's what ever works for you. I've bluffed plenty of times with past law errors. Personally this is just a future one. (And for context, I've not tried this!)
  20. number11

Penalty kick to touch

My suggestion is to bluff the kicker into keeping to the rules.