Search results

1. L

Tackle height stuff

It’s difficult for me to understand lowering the tackle height while still allowing ball carriers to run into contact with their head down. How can anyone feasibly make a legal tackle?
  2. L

Tackle height stuff

This is for the US? I haven’t seen that. Where did you learn this?
  3. L

Penalty Try *and* penalty restart

Fair call out. I suppose a restart kick after a score is a drop kick but not technically a “drop out”?
  4. L

World Rugby phased plan to grow the sport

https://www.world.rugby/news/916218/world-rugby-reveals-phased-plan-to-enhance-rugbys-global-appeal
  5. L

Penalty Try *and* penalty restart

I agree with you but I also noticed the 20.1 table references the restart’s “sanction line” which technically only applies to 22DO and GLDO. I think it’s just an instance of slightly imprecise wording…
  6. L

Juggling ball now NOT in possession

I’m not sure if I’m following this conversation correctly. If red kicks an attacking grubber, the ball accidentally deflects off blue player’s leg (and blue is in the field of play, not in-goal) and then the ball goes dead beyond the dead ball line or touch in goal, it’s a 5m scrum to red every...
  7. L

France v Italy - potential spoiler

I feel it was very clear. As others have said, French players, inexplicably, attempted to charge the kick twice. But it’s a penalty kick, not a conversion. You can’t charge at all. You have to stand still. They were also noticeably closer than 10 meters. It was clear and obvious. At the very...
  8. L

Ireland v Wales “No onfield decision”

There is, actually. Attached In such instances where the TO4 are unable to establish an on field decision of “Try” or “No Try”, the referee does have at their disposal the ability to indicate that the on field team are unsure as to whether a try has been scored nor not, and request the TMO to...
  9. L

Interception by knocking ball forward and gather?

I still can’t find a video clip but was able to find this still image and confirm the tackler was Andre Vos.
  10. L

Professional Truck and Trailer

At a recent USA Rugby Referees camp, during the lineout/maul session, they spent several minutes explaining/showing/discussing “changing lanes” in the maul and that we were to penalize it.
  11. L

Offside after a kick Bath vs Gloucester

The article has no links or references (that I can find) to anything concrete, but Stuff (a NZ media outlet) is reporting that Super Rugby has been given approval from World Rugby to run a law trial where all players are forced to actively retreat when they are offside in open play...
  12. L

I have some tolerance for a certain amount of kick tennis but the show on the weekend is not sustainable for the sport, in my opinion. It’s not the kick tennis I have the issue with, it’s the way the laws are being exploited. Fair play to the players, as it is (arguably) legal. But WR needs to...
  13. L

Yellow card after try, after time

I think the law is clear. 5.7 A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless: b.The referee awards a free-kick or penalty
  14. L

The absurdity of the laws being exposed is @didds dream situation 😆
  15. L

Yellow card after try, after time

I agree that if the penalty was given for an offense after the try was scored, there should be a PK restart at the 50, even though time had expired.
  16. L

There was a kick tennis session with multiple consecutive kicks where 29 players were standing still for multiple seconds while the ball was in play. It looked ridiculous.
  17. L

My minority opinion is that the letter of the law allows this. I think the only issue is that the wording of 11.3 makes it sound like it’s talking about something other than a knock on that is intentional. I think the placement of 11.3 and especially the context and clarification that 11.4...
  18. L

I think you’re right, Phil. Law 9.14 A player must not tackle an opponent who is not in possession of the ball. Law Definition: Possession An individual or team in control of the ball or who are attempting to bring it under control. My interpretation is that if you are juggling to catch the...
  19. L

A good point I hadn’t thought of before. But a player could still retreat behind the kicker and then advance to put the rest of the team onside. And if the rest are also retreating, as they should be under this proposed version of the law, the situation should sort itself out fairly quickly?
  20. L

For whatever it’s worth, here is a clip of Joe Marchant with what I see as a clearly “deliberate” or “intentional” knock forward that he regathers before it hits the ground and then scores. The try was awarded and I agree with the call.