Search results

1. L

World Rugby phased plan to grow the sport

https://www.world.rugby/news/916218/world-rugby-reveals-phased-plan-to-enhance-rugbys-global-appeal
  2. L

Whostheref watch app

I was complaining about whostheref in another thread, but I’m curious if anyone has purchased/used their “Rugby Watch” app? They are billing it as an all-in-one for managing/recording time, score, and cards while refereeing. I’d be interested to know how complete, user friendly, and reliable it is.
  3. L

“Drawing” a man off his feet at the ruck

I was in the middle for a grassroots men’s game yesterday. Blue are in possession, red makes a tackle. Red arriving player approaches the tackle area as if he’s going to poach/contest. Red bends down quickly touches blue tackled player and immediately starts backing off. Blue supported my player...
  4. L

Uruguay try disallowed for obstruction

Start video at 5:00 to see Uruguay try called back for obstruction by #13 in the midfield. I didn’t notice it in real time and, on replay, still feel it was harsh. #13 is initially behind the ball and clearly a realistic option to receive the pass. From my view, he maintains his running line...
  5. L

Ball stripped or tackle made?

Real scenario I had in a game earlier this season. Red is in possession. Red ball carrier takes it into contact. Blue player gets an arm between the ball and the ball carrier and both players are trying to wrest the ball from the other as they go to ground. (To be clear, no one else has bound...
  6. L

Super Rugby 2023 defending scrum half law trial

One of the law variations for the 2023 season of super rugby is not allowing the defending scrum half at a scrum to follow the ball and attacking scrum half at they make their way to the back of the scrum. He must stay in the middle of the scrum or his other options still exist, retreating to...
  7. L

Super Rugby 2023 Yellow Card trial

Super Rugby has announced a number of law trials for the 2023 season, including giving the TMO 8 minutes from when a YC is issued to upgrade it to a 20-minute red card. The goal is to let the referee more quickly issue yellow cards and also issue “permanent” red cards for clear acts of foul play...
  8. L

Foul play?

I’ve attached a 3 second clip that was shared in a local referee chat group, looking for opinions on the call. Play on, PK, or YC?
  9. L

Ball carriers ducking into tackles

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/are-red-cards-solving-the-high-tackle-problem/ Ben Smith discusses a lot of things in this article related to head injuries but something that’s been on my mind that he mentions is how the game allows ball carriers to duck into contact and lead with the head. It...
  10. L

The final ruck of Brumbies vs Blues

#2 vs #1 on the table. Blues are down by 1 point, with possession, about 10 meters from the Brumbies’ goal line, time has passed the 80 minute mark. Go to 5:45 of the highlight video linked above. Does referee Damon Murphy get it right here? His view seems to be that Blue 7 is at the...
  11. L

Ball carrier repeatedly getting to his feet and playing the ball

I had this happen in a U19 game I reffed on Saturday. Blue ball carrier, strong runner, gets tackled, releases ball, gets to his feet, picks up ball, goes again. I don’t ping because he releases and got back to his feet before playing the ball again. This happened 3 times in probably 15 seconds...
  12. L

Tackle in ball carrier’s own in-goal

I had this happen in a U19 game I reffed on Saturday. Blue is in possession near their own goal line. Blue ball carrier is tackled. He extends his arms, holding the ball, back toward his side, which puts the ball over his own goal line. He does not touch it down. An opponent and a teammate of...
  13. L

What’s allowed when no one is left in the ruck?

Please help me wrap my head around the technicalities of the law here and how it is refereed in practice. I’ve tried to find other discussions of this but haven’t felt that I’ve found a full explanation. Red player takes ball into contact. Blue player makes a tackle. One red support player and...
  14. L

Defending team kicks ball beyond their own dead ball line

I’m a newer ref and a simple situation in a game over the weekend has me stumped, but I suspect the answer is obvious and I am simply overlooking it. Lower level men’s game. Red is in possession in blue territory, around the 22. Red player in possession kicks and chases, blue defender turns and...