Search results

1. R

Headline news or hidden away?

Thread-Resurrection: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/brisbane-troll-fined-for-vile-online-ref-abuse-during-world-cup-20240409-p5fic9.html TLDR; - Abuse from RWC was in court in Brisbane, Australia for abuse against Referee Brian MacNiece in Eng v Samoa - No conviction.
  2. R

Tackle height stuff

I was confused with our Australian implementation, and maybe the same thing is happening in the US. Where I got confused was that in my understanding of the RFU version there is the possibility of a sanction again the ball carrier for 'late and low' but in Australia there is not. HOWEVER, in...
  3. R

Where are you this weekend - 2023/24?

Sydney Junior Gala Day 2 on Sunday. 4 x 25min halves with 7 different U14 teams. Only a 5min break between each half for me, so great start of season fitness! 26C and Sunny for the day- but an "East Coast Low" will bring lots of Rain this Thu, Fri and Sat - so who knows what condition the...
  4. R

Sydney Junior Gala Day 1 on Sunday. Entering my second season here and am again amazed at the scale of Junior club scene size. 2 glorious weeks of 2x half games per team against different opposition - to grade teams into their divisions for the season. I know the player and team numbers are...
  5. R

Leave our Sam alone!

As raised by theshovel.com.au, we all know that the correct noun to be linked to the word 'stupid' is not 'bastard'. https://theshovel.com.au/2024/03/07/sam-kerr-expresses-regret-at-calling-english-cop-bastard/ RE Kerr, good to see that female footballers are getting equal treatment from the...
  6. R

Enforcing 7s scrum binding

Our 7s Game Management briefing specifically called out hooker not being bound and to actively look for it - due to advantage in escaping the scrum quickly - so most likely coached…. 100% right decision from you.
  7. R

I was thinking of your post a couple of weeks ago as I typed in the temp!
  8. R

Pre-season Junior 7s comp for me this Sunday. First time with sternum tackle height for everyone. 27C (80F) and probably humid so suspect I'll need some cold beers afterwards.
  9. R

Good luck! (Do you have any updated Game Management Guidelines?)
  10. R

Kicker wearing Sunglasses

I wear glasses when I referee as well, but avoid transition lenses for the sun glasses confusion! I never considered the eye injury danger, but will check that mine are polycarbonate - so thank you for the insight.
  11. R

The kicked ball touches the opponent

Cheers, thanks for confirming. Then I believe that the ref has ruled that under 10.7.b.iv or 10.8 (depending on if the ref thought it was a charge down or a deliberate touch) that the players were immediately put onside and therefore had rights to ball and allowed play to continue.
  12. R

The kicked ball touches the opponent

Did the white player get a touch on the ball after red kicked it? (Watched a couple of times but only on phone and couldn't confirm it but thought maybe I heard "touched" called - only plausible option for play on - 10.7.b.iv - not 10.8 as not 'charged down')
  13. R

Tackle height stuff

What's the thinking there?
  14. R

Tackle height stuff

@Dickie E Here we go, it's official for Australia next season: https://australia.rugby/tackle-height-trial
  15. R

Are Nike Tiempo studs legal?

In my previous association a jewellery/watch check was mandated in the competition rules and pretty standard, in my new association it's not - but I still check. Occasionally find something that someone forgot.
  16. R

PK Advantages

Sorry not well explained. If I am still playing advantage, and something happens that causes a stoppage but I'm not sure if it's better or worse- I'll ask the captain what he wants. One instance I recall was U13s playing PK advantage for offside on a ruck in middle of pitch in their own 22...
  17. R

PK Advantages

I only ref Juniors, so open play advantage is generally not a problem to decide on, acknowledging that my work on is to call no advantage sooner if I am confident nothing will eventuate (and I always call over verbally). But, with the variance in set piece, and kicker quality when there is a...
  18. R

Referee Respect?

Quoted from: https://www.rugby.com.au/news/five-things-we-learnt-from-south-africa-england-20231021 If the Referees/BOK is being booed as quoted, that is pretty poor.
  19. R

ADVANTAGE WHEN TIME IS UP

Savea did question Barnes (Taylor was also in bin so free play would also chew time) immediately after whistle. Barnes apologised. So good to see a human mistake acknowledged.
  20. R

ADVANTAGE WHEN TIME IS UP

This discussion has caused me to re-think my approach to advantage in my games. As a newish referee I always just kind of play advantage, because with Juniors you can be pretty sure that something will happen to stop the advantage (i.e. another error / infringement) - and I'd prefer to fall...