Search results

1. P

Ref and TJ not on same page

I think LLP has it right. When I briefed TJs I would always ask them to agree about kicks and if the did not agree then to talk to me about it and I would decide.
  2. P

Move to limit the distance the ball travels through the air

Make the minimum weight of the ball a bit more and it would reduce the distance that can be kicked and make carrying it more beneficial. Make it as heavy as a medicine ball and no one would be able to kick it at all!
  3. P

At a ruck, when would the team last moving forward not be the attacking team also?

Agree with Dickie, I was surprised when he awarded the scrum for unplayable to the team who originally had possession although they were going backwards
  4. P

Options from a knock on

Angus Gardiner, for one, presumably?
  5. P

RC issued in the bunker

Curry was red carded because he was too upright in the tackle and there was head to head contact
  6. P

Line-out, yes or no?

Key decision is the same whatever they say! Out on the 22 means inside! Easier to get lineout straight if there is a line there!
  7. P

Line-out, yes or no?

Why not?
  8. P

Line-out, yes or no?

The other thing I would change is to not allow a player standing outside the playing area to jump into the playing area catching the ball if it has gone beyond the plane. If you want to jump and play the ball you should have to start that from on the pitch and if you catch the ball finish on...
  9. P

Drop goal unsuccesful

That is true to an extent, but we are talking here about the circumstances of a missed kick at goal and there are exceptions that apply to that. I don't think that a team would be able to claim three points if the opposition threw the ball over the bar? And we have long debated the difference...
  10. P

Drop goal unsuccesful

19.1 describes the ball being taken in the in-goal by the defending team, and for me it is a stretch to suggest that touching it (could even be a charge down attempt) qualifies as that?
  11. P

Drop goal unsuccesful

A rare day when I do not agree with Phil! I think this is an unsuccessful drop goal and is covered by the exception to 21.11 and is a 22 drop out.
  12. P

[U20 RWC] IRE v SA - Ball Caught and Carried into Touch

I wonder if the winger caught it as he might have thought if the ball bounced and hit the line it might well have been a 50 22? It would definitely carried past the 22 if it had not been caught, but was already over the touch line.
  13. P

Brian Moore M.Sc. dissertation survey

Generally I would support participation in this sort of research, but it asks for a link with English Rugby, so not applicable to all on this site.
  14. P

Goal Line or 22 Drop out

I am sure we have been here before, and there may not have been clear consensus, but for me, the first offence is the KO, which happened in the field of play, so any playing of advantage is from the scrum. I think the majority consensus, and my view, was that touching the ball down in goal...
  15. P

Player red carded in an unsanctioned friendly 10s match at the field of a 15s tournament, is the player out for the day at the tournament?

In Scotland all rugby is played under the governance of the SRU, even if there are informal arrangements for the appointment of referees, but I think the approach is that if you get a red card you are out of rugby until the disciplinary hearing happens and the sanction is completed, so in the OP...
  16. P

Try disallowed AFTER conversion attempt

Even if it is wrong in law!
  17. P

Leaning over the ruck to jackal

I think that in both the video clips Faletau and Schoeman were the first players at each breakdown who could be considered to be on their feet, and the both got hands on the ball before other attackers arrived on their feet to a create the ruck and b contest the ball. So I am in agreement with...
  18. P

Development Leagues

In Scotland Development Leagues used not to post a league table, rather they were used to set planned fixtures for the various teams in the league as well as having some consistency of standard of play in the league. For me, refereeing was not very different from the lower level leagues (who...