Search results

1. Nilo

Try line scenario

As the others have stated, if the player was onside before the ruck ended, the try should be awarded. Law 15 - Ruck 18 - The ruck ends and play continues when the ball leaves the ruck or when the ball in the ruck is on or over the goal line. Law 8 - Scoring 2. A try is scored when an attacking...
  2. Nilo

France v Italy - potential spoiler

As soon as this game finished I said the same to my partner. I think Italy were a bit hard done by and I would have at least let the kick be retaken/shot clock paused because the French player(s) moved forward in close proximity twice. But that's just the nature of rugby, and regardless either...
  3. Nilo

Offside after a kick Bath vs Gloucester

You are onside in this situation, because if you stay 20m away and then the player comes to you, they will have travelled >5m and therefore you are back onside.
  4. Nilo

Offside after a kick Bath vs Gloucester

An offside player maybe penalised, if that player: Interferes with play; or Moves forwards towards the ball; or Was in front of a team-mate who kicked the ball and fails to retire immediately behind an onside team-mate or an imaginary line across the field 10 metres on that player’s side from...
  5. Nilo

Tackle height stuff

In Wales I've been a fair bit more strict with it, especially at the start most of us as referees potentially had games with very high penalty counts as a result. The main difficulty we've had has been judging the 2nd tackler as the ball carrier is usually on the way down - this is where most of...
  6. Nilo

Slim margins

I wasn't surprised myself. Straight away for Cane I thought definite yellow, likely turn into a red. Kolisi I was immediately at a yellow card and no more. Most of the impact went through the chest from my perspective and Cane had a more obvious "always illegal" aspect to it.
  7. Nilo

Thoughts on this one?

I can understand that argument, I was just replying to not being able see similar laws in the penalty context. I'd *argue* as a referee that them kicking it before it's gone anywhere is still an infringement under that wording. On the day, I'd give the penalty score.
  8. Nilo

Thoughts on this one?

It is 100% the correct decision as @RemainingInTheGame stated. I believe it's because it's more inferred through several sections of the same law: LAW 8 22. If the kicker indicates to the referee the intent to kick at goal, the opposing team must stand still with their hands by their sides...
  9. Nilo

Line-out, yes or no?

I'd sooner say let this always be play on. I find it's better to have a flowing and non-disrupted game. If it goes out, now we have another (potentially slow) lineout to manage!
  10. Nilo

50:22 or not?

Agreed 100%. I also agree that would be logical. It does from our perspective still assume that: He self records, which perhaps he doesn't. That the people checking it also have the knowledge the vet it (I agree if it's a WR page then they should account for this). That they may have been...
  11. Nilo

I mean in no way do I see that any professional referee is always right or correct, but it doesn't detract from the fact that he is ultimately still a vetted and well reputed authority on the application of the laws of the game, hence my question to make sure. Experts can still be wrong...
  12. Nilo

This is what I thought. I found the video - I've attached it in my original post and it is about 4:35minutes. Nigel definitely says the ball must land in the 22 and then roll out to touch!
  13. Nilo

I was recently watching Whistle Watch on YouTube (if you've not seen this, it is where Nigel Owens breaks down recent rugby in game decisions and answers fan questions, typically about refereeing). During one of these videos Mr Owens stated that for the kicking team to get the put in for a...
  14. Nilo

Line-out, yes or no?

Agreed with everyone else here, it is quite clear in 18.2.b. I suspect where part of the confusion can come from is from 18.8.b which states c. Ball is kicked from a penalty: Event Location of the mark of touch Who throws in A player kicks the ball into touch (either directly or first...