Search results

1. mkottke

Rugby Magazine

For those that subscribe to rugby magazine. I am profiled in the Aug issue. Just found out this past weekend when a player came up to me and mentioned I had a terrible photo in rugby mag. They took a some photos a couple months ago in the heat of summer day in Las Vegas, then had me fill in a...
  2. mkottke

Watson's advice to Touch Judges

This was forwarded to me by my union. A great article from the SA Rugby Referees website for our referee continuing education... http://www.sareferees.co.za/referees_news/story_3907160042.php Watson's advice to touch judges 2007-09-03 15:56:37 Concerned at several touch judge errors in...
  3. mkottke

penalizing players not in the field of play

There is another thread about a player in touch knocking the ball back that brought up an interesting point. I personally think that this YC is not a stern enough message and/or result. Although, my response in the other thread makes me look like an egomanic on a huge power trip. How would...
  4. mkottke

offsides complaining in 7's

I have been doing a couple 7's tourny and one thing I have noticed is the incisive whining from players about offsides. Here is the scanerio: Tackle occurs and defensive fails to contest, so no ruck and no offside for the retreating players. Scummie pulls the ball out and passes to the...
  5. mkottke

A fallen referee, Cap Pelletier

Cap Pelletier of the Southern California referee society unexpectedly passed away a few days ago. He was an great referee and wonderful man. He lived a very fruitful and exciting life. He gave back to the game more than many combined. I will miss the man! A service for Cap on Thursday June...
  6. mkottke

new way to call a try...

I guess we will have a caption contest... fire away everyone I forgot to mention, that is the ref.
  7. mkottke

great compliment and a realization

Over the past weekend my alma mater had their alumni match. Basically, it was a great time getting together with old friends to beat up on youngsters. We scored about 5 tries to one in the first half and one in the second. We ended the game in a tie. After the match one of the newer players...
  8. mkottke

rereading law11 - offsides in general play

I was just brushing up on the law and I noticed the penalty for law 11.1 isn't given until law 11.4. Just curious why or what benifit do the authors wait until the 10m law to state the penalty for open play. Just baffling to me and makes me scratch my head and wonder if there is any missed...
  9. mkottke

Question Ref: 43

The question is with respect to replacing a front row player that has been temporally suspended. The capt elects to bring on a replacment front row at the next scrum. The answers revolve about what should the referee ask of the captain. The correct answer is (a) the captain must elect one...
  10. mkottke

Rugby comic

I buddy of mine just showed this to me. Not the funniest, but I still got a decent chuckle with my morning coffee. -mark
  11. mkottke

referee shortage

I ref in southern california and I have noticed due to recent problems that there are not enough available referees. So we have a shortage of warm bodies with a whistle on the pitch. Part of the problem is that our union decides that all the club matches be played on Sat afternoon, so you have...