Search results

1. David J.

Carding for a flop in soccer

This is pretty amusing and sad... http://bit.ly/b8c8QD
  2. David J.

Refereeing touch

Anyone have experience refereeing touch? The game, the formal game played under FIT rules is virtually unheard of here, but we're played a few weeks last summer and are looking to do it again. The biggest problem we had was refereeing the "touch". Often players would make a pass as touch was...
  3. David J.

How narrow is ok?

Little controversy before the start of the 7s competition in San Diego. Apparently, they're using this field: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sam_Boyd_Stadium.jpg A standard football field is ~48m wide, so there's not much room to expand. Different sources list the rugby pitch as 58m, 62m...
  4. David J.

crossing the plane

I know this has been discussed before, but the threads are long and divergent and I can't tell if there's any consensus, except that the law isn't crystal clear. This is the scenario I encountered on Saturday. Green 10 kicks from inside his 22. Ball heads towards touch, and Red 14 jumps over...
  5. David J.

Subs and jurisdiction

This is in the US at the D2 level. Two questions... 1) I heard rumors that the new law book would have "rolling subs" for the lower levels. What's the status of that? 2) In a league match, but with only one "official" official, is it the referee's job to regulate subs? At a match recently...
  6. David J.

10s scrum

I'm advising a 10s tourney director on laws for the game. One coach of a team attending has said that "in the rest of the world" 10s is played with 3 forwards in the pack and 7 backs and that there's an IRB tournament with this configuration. I've established that the scrum is a 5 man scrum...
  7. David J.

Ruling: 6 : 2009

Ruling: 6 : 2009 Ruling Request from ARU Under-19 Variations – Law 20 1 (f) Australian Rugby Union (ARU) seeks a ruling in respect of the following matters relating to the Under 19 Variations to Law 20.1 (f): 1. The Under-19 Law Variation refers to a team having fewer than eight players in...
  8. David J.

Ruling: 5 : 2009

Ruling: 5 : 2009\ Request for a Ruling from the Designated Members from the RFU LAW 3.12 SUBSTITUTED PLAYERS REJOINING THE match Background: Early in a match Team A replace their tighthead prop, because of injury, with their nominated prop forward replacement. Late in the match, the...
  9. David J.

Law changes

I remember hearing that some of the ELVs are out of favor (collapsing the maul, numbers at the lineout). Are those laws still in effect or has it not been made official yet?
  10. David J.

Tackler in touch-in-goal

White on the attack inside Gold 22. Ball makes it out to the White 11 who hies for the goal line. Gold 13 charges across and wraps up White 11, they go over the goal line, hitting the flag. Gold lands on his back with his shoulders well over the touch-in-goal line. He has wrapped up White...
  11. David J.

Moved...

Moved to other forum...
  12. David J.

Is this a first?

It was a 7s tournament. Pretty social. Last Union event of the season. Discipline was lax. Referees were TJing in sandals and visors by the end. There was a women's match were they were all barefoot in gaudy dresses. Maybe 22 teams total. I knew all the other refs there, except one who was...
  13. David J.

Post-try penalty protocol

Referred a couple matches yesterday. One was a close match between Blue and Gold. Blue was pretty athletic, but ignorant of some of the laws. Gold had an attacking 5m lineout. Ball thrown, won by Gold, who gathered to form a maul. Blue players not in the lineout came up fast before the mul...
  14. David J.

Scrum half trick

Referred a match yesterday. At the scrum, the Gray SH, when defending did something I hadn't seen before. When the Blue SH picked up the ball, the Gray SH reached over or under the 8 man's legs and grabbed the Blue's leg and pulled in an attempted to disrupt the pass. It looked odd, but it...
  15. David J.

not 5 on QT

Watching a match last Saturday and Gold kicks to touch. Excellent Black 9 gathers and looks to take a QT. Gold 3 stands three meters from touch waving his arms. Black 9 throws and hits Gold 3 in the chest. Referee blows and awards the lineout to Black at the original LoT. Black coach and 9...
  16. David J.

silly question?

Ball kicked, bounces along the ground, goes out 2 meteres from the goal line. Should the touch judge raise flag and stand 2m from goal line or 5m from goal line?
  17. David J.

Not back 10 again

I was refereeing a U-19 match. Red v Black. Black is the stronger team, Red is down 12 or so 60 minutes in. It's open play, a couple breakdowns and a turnover when Red 13 kicks from his 40m and is immediately blocked by 3(!) Black players. Black 9 catches the ball about 15m from his goal line...
  18. David J.

Substitutes

I'm confused by the substitution rule. If a team has a roster of 22 players, they need 5 players to be STE for the front row. Can a team start all 5 of those players (say with an STE hooker at flank and an STE prop at lock) and then in the course of the match replace/substitute 7 players on...
  19. David J.

Usa - Arg

Don't know if this hasn't made it overseas, but the big referee news here in the States is the apparent cock up at the San Diego 7s tournament. I wasn't there and haven't seen the match, but all reports coming out are in agreement. Late in the second half, Argentina was ahead by 5 points...
  20. David J.

Scrum half position?

A scrum half tried this during my match on Saturday. college match, Home Red v Visiting White, Red put in at a scrum. White SH takes a position behind his loosehead flanker. In other words on the opposite side of the put in. I ask him what he's doing. He says he as long as he's a meter from...