Search results

1. Phil E

Statistics help required

Could do with a little help if anyone is into statistics? We have a trophy for the club that looks after referees the best each season. Every game is marked out of 4, under ten headings. i.e. Welcome and post match hospitality, marked 1 to 4 Changing room and shower facilities, 1-4, etc To...
  2. Phil E

Calling the Mark

Leicester v Saracens Leicester kick ahead in open play, ref calls touched, and makes the touched in flight gesture (sort of like clapping his hands together above his head). Saracens player inside his 22 catches the ball and calls for the mark, ref give it. Law says to call a mark the ball must...
  3. Phil E

Referee decision making stats

Hi Does anyone have any stats available (or know where to find them) regarding the number of decisions a referee has to make each match, the % expected to be correct at top level, etc. Decisions including the decision not to do something, or to have a word at the next breakdown, to remember a...
  4. Phil E

Development Leagues

My questions arises from the recent court case which involved a development league. I do not want to discuss the court case here, just the type of league. What is meant by a development league and how should we referee it differently to any other league. A development league may contain players...
  5. Phil E

Women or Ladies

Moved these posts to a new thread to stop the original thread going off topic.
  6. Phil E

RFU Council approves lowering of the tackle height across community rugby in England from 2023/24

The first thing I noticed is that tackles must be made at the line of the waist, targeting the belly area and below. So Questions...is it below the waist or below the belly, because my belly is above my waist :unsure:
  7. Phil E

First Aid requirements 22/23 RFU season

Has anyone got a copy of the first aid requirements update for the coming season? I think it was posted in the RFU online magazine, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks
  8. Phil E

If you feel like giving?

Deliberately placed in the Non-Rugby Forum. To celebrate the 40th anniversary of this iconic event, teams of Royal Marines stationed in Commando Units across the country will recreate the 56-mile yomp finishing on Friday 10th June, just prior to the start of the commemorative weekend of...
  9. Phil E

Delete Drafts Button

Has anyone worked out how the delete draft button works. A few times I have started writing and then decided not to post, but when I select Delete Draft from the drop down next to preview, nothing happens. I end up having to delete everything I have written, plus any quotes, other wise it just...
  10. Phil E

Law Clarification 3 2022. Jumping into a tackle

Clarification 3 2022 Clarification in Law by the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee Clarification 3-2022 Union / HP Ref Manager NZR Law Reference 9 Date 28 February 2022 Request NZR seeks clarity on 2 issues: Law 9.17 states “a player must not tackle, charge, pull, push or grasp an...
  11. Phil E

Emoji's

We used to have some Rugby and Forum specific Emojis on the old site. Red Card, Yellow Card, Off Topic, etc Can we get them back?
  12. Phil E

Seatbelt Tackles

On Sunday I had an experienced Club Referee say to me "seat belt tackles are legal now aren't they?" It was more of a statement than a question. He is not the first person to say this to me recently, I have had at least two coaches say the same thing. Has anyone else heard this? Has anyone...
  13. Phil E

GLTs and Age Grade Rugby

The RFU have confirmed that the GLT's will apply to U15 and above. U15s will use the GLT's from January. U16 upwards from now. LINK HERE
  14. Phil E

Charity Game with scrums and new laws!

At long last I have a charity game on Saturday with scrums and new laws (50/22 etc). There are also two Fijian Internationals playing! Luckily I have AR's and comm's to help me. Really looking forward to it.
  15. Phil E

Covid Law Variations for England

With these adapted laws coming into force in just over a week, and interclub games restarting I thought it would be useful to see if anyone envisages any problems with them? We had a Society presentation on Monday and all seems fairly clear. Management and communication seem to be the main...
  16. Phil E

Premiership relegation set to be suspended

So...Ealing and Pirates then? :wink:
  17. Phil E

Match Official Developer App - your input please

I have been testing an App called MOD (Match Official Developer) over the last couple of weeks as an alternative to pen and paper for watching referees. I have been very impressed with it so far. I have a demo version which allows me to record 10 minute games and am looking forward to trying...
  18. Phil E

New Rugby Roadmap

This is the new rugby roadmap (RFU) received today, which replaces all previous versions in line with latest government advice. RUGBY ROADMAP 2021 TIMELINE MARCH V1 Specific match official resources for this stage (Return to Play Stage D resources) of the Road Map include: Match Officials -...
  19. Phil E

7 Steps to Better Conversations

This list came up in an American Referees magazine that covers all sports officiating. Not sure I agree with all the points but thought it might be a good conversation piece around referees communication.
  20. Phil E

Fitness during lockdown

What is everyone doing (if anything) to keep fit during lockdown? Are you building up your fitness in preparation (hope) of a return to some form of rugby at the end of March/April?