Search results

1. N

Penalising coaches!!!!

Colts cup semi-final, played at the ground of a first class club. Having ascertained that fully qualified medical personnel were present, I had a meeting before the match with all eleven coaches representing both teams. I informed them that I expected all coaches to remain in the technical...
  2. N

Line Out Query

Under fifteen schools' knock out cup match. Blue putting into a LO. All blue players in LO except the very first, run backwards taking their opponents with them. Hooker throws ball to stationary player who has dropped to one knee and catches the ball eighteen inches or so off the ground. It...
  3. N

Binding Query

Colts league match, home, blue against black. First scrum of the match, black feed, everything looks good. At a break in play, black tight head asks me to have a look at his opponent at the next scrum - I was positioned at the far side initially. Second scrum, black feed, standing same side as...
  4. N

Injury query

Level 8 league match. Approximately thirty minutes into the match, home team second row damages shoulder attempting a tackle. After quite a long period of attention, match resumes. However, on four further occasions, physio is on the pitch attending this player for this injury, for increasingly...
  5. N

Numbers

Due to a complete mix-up by everyone concerned - except meself, of course, - I ended up doing a level six match last Saturday bewitxt two high flying sides. My last action before blowing to start the match is always to count the players in each team - a habit I have been judged down on before...
  6. N

Was I correct?

First league match of the season between two ladies' teams who finished second and third in their league last season. One touch judge is a higher grade referee than meself but has not officiated for twelve months due to ill health, the other, a recently retired higher grade referee using this...
  7. N

Can we please shoot the PC Brigade?

Last Wednesday, I had the distinct pleaseure of refereeing a college sevens' tournament for young gentlemen. There were three distinct levels, they had cute names but were basically elite, good and beginners and teams came from all over the UK. Standing with another referee prior to KO, we...
  8. N

Fifty Point Differential

Refereeing an under 18 ladies' league match, for the first time. I checked with the coaches the differences in the laws to ensure that we were all singing off the same hymn sheet, no problems at all. 'Twas a great day to play rugby, finally, after all the lousy weather we have been having...
  9. N

Lost Voice

Level 7 league match, run away leaders against mid-table. Ten minutes into the second half, my voice deteriorated into a very high pitched squeak - I had picked up a bit of a cold during the week but nothing to write home about. After two scrums with my voice in this condition, both props on...
  10. N

Carding incidents or not?

Level 8 'varsity league match, very local derby - teams share changing facilities, home pitches are adjacent. No idea of league positions because I never look. Eight minutes from end, away team, White, losing by three points. Players getting very agitated as game coming to an end. Five metres...
  11. N

Jersey Experience

Having just read the thread concerning pitch inspections in Jersey, I am reminded of an interesting experience in which I was involved whilst on tour there a year or thirty ago. We were playing Jersey on a balmy Easter Sunday morning. At that time, the rugby club was the only place where a...
  12. N

Record Score

Broke my personal record for scoring yesterday. Bottom of the table clash, home team 152 (24 tries), away team nil. Now I know that we are supposed to remain completely neutral when refereeing, but I found it very hard indeed to play the full eighty minutes with one team so completely under the...
  13. N

Penalty scrum

Was AR this afternoon for a trials match so score was immaterial. At every penalty outside of the 22, the scrum option was chosen and a very rare event occurred - I had a thought. If a side opts for a scrum at a penalty, should not the defending backs be ten metres back rather than five? NM
  14. N

Have we gone awry?

Following the late cancellation of my match this afternoon, I took the rare opportunity to go watch the kid brother. He is a higher grade than meself and he was refereeing teams, both of whom were promoted last season and both of whom are struggling this season. I have refereed both of these...
  15. N

Was it a tackle?

My apologies to Broon. I have read his thread on 'A tackle or not?' but am not sure if the answer to the following appears! I refereed a match yesterday afternoon between students. Pink (I know!) 13 tackled his opposite number (blue) by grasping the ball. The two players grappled for the ball...
  16. N

Props and 22 drop outs

Refereeing on Saturday last twixt teams comprised of club members who had not gone on tour, therefore right mixture of skill and fitness levels. Was warned beforehand that two players of one team had not played rugby since school and not for many years. The match was played in a fantastic...
  17. N

Drop Kick Conversions

Refereed a university league match this afternoon in which the away team were hopelessly outgunned- the final score was 93 - 0. However, clearly with a view to points difference at the end of the season, the coach decided that all conversions would be by drop kick to save time. My query is at...
  18. N

Fifty point differential

I hope that someone can point me in the right direction. I regularly referee at U19 level. Up to now, when a team has secured a lead in excess of 50 points, I have always asked the losing coach if he wants his team to play on and have abided with his decision. However, my newly qualified...