10 common nutritioinal mistakes....

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
What's with all the marcola stuff.. Are we being spammed?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've checked to see that these two posts come from ddjamo's usual IP number, and they do, so I don't think he's been hacked.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
my posting this was twofold. one - because it's very good info. robbie and I had discussed posting more info to help everyone with nutrition and health - so I am posting some very good and relevant info. two - because I made a bet with another member that the two of you above would be the first to post and would be very negative.

looks like I won! thanks men.

maybe neither of your mother's told you this - but if you don't have something nice to say - keep your mouth shut. there are others on here that would like to get back to the days where we discussed becoming better referees, ideas, and law...not a debate site where everything is an argument.

since I am a mod with full access (I think it's called a super mod or something) I would be happy to block this section of the site from you two so it's not so upsetting to you?

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
my posting this was twofold. one - because it's very good info. robbie and I had discussed posting more info to help everyone with nutrition and health - so I am posting some very good and relevant info. two - because I made a bet with another member that the two of you above would be the first to post and would be very negative.

maybe neither of your mother's told you this - but if you don't have something nice to say - keep your mouth shut. there are others on here that would like to get back to the days where we discussed becoming better referees, ideas, and law...not a debate site where everything is an argument.

since I am a mod with full access (I think it's called a super mod or something) I would be happy to block this section of the site from you two so it's not so upsetting to you?

Mercola is an antivax pro-homeopathy quack who sometimes is mistakenly correct; it's up to Robert how he runs his site, and if he wants to block me that's his privilege, but if you deliberately trail information from a source like Mercola that is irrelevant to rugby refereeing so as to provoke argument, then it's hardly surprising if you get disagreement.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

hmm. You go out of your way to stress that you are mod - so are we to take it that this is an official endorsement of Mercola by RugbyRefs.com. Well then I'll certainly raise that, as an issue - I'll press the object button now.

Mercola is quite a well known quack. IMO this site certainly shouldn't be a platform for him.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

maybe neither of your mother's told you this - but if you don't have something nice to say - keep your mouth shut

One other thing - were you referring to to me or to Browner when you posted:

ahhhh....our beloved mr. j. rotten

Or am I misunderstanding the meaning of this comment?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

ddjamo

I was one of the posters, and I didn't say anything negative, so think that is a bit of an over-reaction.

Given the frequency with which we have spammers here (about once a month) and especially as much of that spam relates to nutrition, I was concerned that your account might have been hacked (it would not be the first time I have seen accounts hacked). I have had my account at JREF hacked, and had to email an admin to to change my password & email address because I couldn't get in to do it myself. In the mean time, the hacker/bot used by account to spam some pretty dubious stuff all over the site to the point where my account was temporarily banned.

Last edited:

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
ddjamo

I was one of the posters, and I didn't say anything negative, so think that is a bit of an over-reaction.

I'm pretty sure that it was me and crossref to whom ddjamo was referring; since we both responded to his earlier post by referring to criticism of Dr Joseph Mercola by Orac.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
It isn't an official endorsement of anything by anyone.

Jamo can post what he likes, as can you or anyone.
Is it right?
Who the hell knows. Apply your own judgement, but trusting anyone who is antivax may not be the smartest thing to do.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Wow...doesn't nutrition make everyone a bit testis (yes - I meant that spelling)
Looks like you all eat too much gluten!

I'll caveat my next comments with the fact that I'm a Paleo fan...well sort of, mines a revised version that works for me. I'd like to go the whole hog but it's almost impossible when you have a wife and kids who think it's a quack and your pantry is full of processed crap.

What I did find ironic on that article after debunking all the lies was this comment: "Be wary of nutritional advice from mainstream "experts" as it may not be based on science—or based on bad information that is several decades outdated. Truthful, accurate information is your number one weapon in taking control of your health."
So why should anyone believe this Dr, and who died and made him God on nutrition?
Just like every single other nutritional article ever written is by a Dr that has a multitude of letters after their name to somehow show how important and expert their advice. The truth is..who the f@ck knows who is or is not telling the truth. IMO it's a friggen nightmare figuring out what is right and what is wrong when you're bombarded with conflicting ideas. It really comes down to what your previous ideas are, your own reading, knowledge, and who was the most convincing.

For me the basic concept of Paleo, which is suggested in the article, makes most sense. (It wasn't the conspiracy theory that US government created the nutrition pyramid only to save its $billions wheat/grain farming industry!)

For me the article was interesting and had some interesting concepts. But I regularly abide by the notion of "half of what you read is bull, and the other half is sh!t". Take out of it what you want and what strikes a cord with other things you've read/believe.

Now excuse me while I shove a hose up my @ss for my daily coffee intake! :pepper::pepper:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
An unsourced article which recommends against government health guidelines, hmm... I'll be right, thanks.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Lie #4: Artificial Sweeteners Are Safe Sugar Replacements for Diabetics, and Help Promote Weight Loss

I have lived this one out. I used to drink Diet Pepsi all the time. About a year ago, I cut it out 100%. I also did other dietary changes such as grass fed meat that is locally sourced, lots of organic fruits and vegetables and eliminating most grains. I do eat Ezekiel bread, though, a couple of times a week. My weight is down 60+ pounds at this point. And, I can tell you, I am convinced it was the artificial sweetener driving me to eat poorly all the time. Relating this all to being a referee, I can tell you that I am totally different out there. My mind is clearer, my decisions are more consistent and I can almost no back chat because I am always right at the tackle or play.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My money is on that you probably lost most of all the weight from ditching the grains and eating healthily....undoubtedly cutting out the soda helped. But it probably wasn't a single factor but the sum of all the factors that you changed.

Either way..it doesn't matter. You got what you wanted from it.

- - - Updated - - -

An unsourced article which recommends against government health guidelines, hmm... I'll be right, thanks.

Have you seen our government???

I wouldn't trust those f@ckers with a puppy!

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My money is on that you probably lost most of all the weight from ditching the grains and eating healthily....undoubtedly cutting out the soda helped. But it probably wasn't a single factor but the sum of all the factors that you changed.

Either way..it doesn't matter. You got what you wanted from it.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you seen our government???

I wouldn't trust those f@ckers with a puppy!

I have a huge distrust in government but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt on dietary guidelines. Maybe not on other things where corporate money is involved like GMOs though.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have had my account at JREF hacked, and had to email an admin to to change my password & email address because I couldn't get in to do it myself. In the mean time, the hacker/bot used by account to spam some pretty dubious stuff all over the site to the point where my account was temporarily banned.

I remember those posts Ian. There was a few where you were gracious in defeat after an All Blacks game - we knew instantly your account must have been hacked.