2014/15 Guidance

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Each year there seems to be a focus and or guidance issued to refs of what the hot topics are for the forthcoming season. (I recall the big 5 and scrum put ins in recent years)

Has anyone seen or heard what these are for this year?

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Genuine question - could the scrum half put his hands on the ball and then do something to draw an opposition offside (e.g. move his feet or something)? Or would this be a bit like the old practice of dummying the pass from the base of the ruck that is now illegal?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Genuine question - could the scrum half put his hands on the ball and then do something to draw an opposition offside (e.g. move his feet or something)? Or would this be a bit like the old practice of dummying the pass from the base of the ruck that is now illegal?
Sometimes the ball is stuck under a player, and the scrum half has to pull it out, but otherwise, my line has always been that as soon as he has hands on and can lift the ball out, I expect him to do so. Hands on and look around etc is not permitted. However hands on in itself does not mean the ball is out - wait until it actually leaves the ruck.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Sometimes the ball is stuck under a player, and the scrum half has to pull it out, but otherwise, my line has always been that as soon as he has hands on and can lift the ball out, I expect him to do so. Hands on and look around etc is not permitted. However hands on in itself does not mean the ball is out - wait until it actually leaves the ruck.

My bold......

& yet the IRB seem to be saying otherwise OB, this is exactly what happens in the IRB vid in the guideline section. He puts his hands on the ball, keeps them there & then looks (towards 1st receiver?)

In addition, IRB imply that if 9 puts his hands on 'and doesn't lift it' then the defenders have to stay in their blocks. Which presumably will then lead to "use it" and the 5s then commencing.

As an aside, perhaps 5s should become 3s (2s?) ....?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Law prohibits ANY dummying action that seeks to con the defence. Ruck/maul/scrum laws all cover the same. So no.

" A player must not take any action to make the opposing team think that the ball is out of the ruck (or...scrum/maul )while it is still in ...."

TNT88

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Take 95% of last years directives, reword them. Add in a few Craig Joubertisms. Highlight the bits about spear tackles. You'll have a pretty accurate draft.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My bold......

& yet the IRB seem to be saying otherwise OB, this is exactly what happens in the IRB vid in the guideline section. He puts his hands on the ball, keeps them there & then looks (towards 1st receiver?)

In addition, IRB imply that if 9 puts his hands on 'and doesn't lift it' then the defenders have to stay in their blocks. Which presumably will then lead to "use it" and the 5s then commencing.

As an aside, perhaps 5s should become 3s (2s?) ....?

I'm with Browner on this one, "Hand On" IS NOT OUT, as I have always reffed and as the iRB guidance has stated, however he will get a "use it" from me and 5 seconds to do so :wink: