Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
this is my summer footwear of choice

untitled.png

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I put mine in the boiler cupboard to dry out, and then bang them together to knock the mud off

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
What is the opposite of Hrrrumph? I think this deserves it.

Brasso the eyelets and studs too.

Oh, you're going to fit right in. Thomas Towers is at the end of the long gravel drive. Be sure to give your card to Bunter.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I was "volunteered" to ref a sevens festival last season. Its hard work ! And I was aching the next day in places I didnt know could ache ! The ground was pretty dry so I wore trainers/running shoes. Nobody said anything about them not being boots and they gripped perfectly.
Just a tip, whenever you get to do a day's worth of sevens games (very few breaks ) , and it's a dry, I'd go for running shoes every time !

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I was "volunteered" to ref a sevens festival last season. Its hard work ! And I was aching the next day in places I didnt know could ache ! The ground was pretty dry so I wore trainers/running shoes. Nobody said anything about them not being boots and they gripped perfectly.
Just a tip, whenever you get to do a day's worth of sevens games (very few breaks ) , and it's a dry, I'd go for running shoes every time !

But be careful if there is any dew at the start of the day or even the slightest drizzle during the game. I pulled a hamstring reffing in trail shoes when my foot slipped as I pushed off to change direction. I have some astro boots (multiple pimples on the sole) which I use for 7s. I can see that running shoes would be good for TJ and in-goal though.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Jamo, passim, liked Trail Runners.

Every set of boots I have - soft/muddy, firm, or hard conditions -are Asics Gel variants. The best I've had is the Lacrosse File shoe, which is ideal for 95% of the ground conditions I get in Virginia

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Indoors or out I put Sorbothane (sp?) inserts, or heel cups, to lessen the shock of hard grounds.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Indoors or out I put Sorbothane (sp?) inserts, or heel cups, to lessen the shock of hard grounds.

That's what the "gel" part of Asics Gel boots does.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
I have a Blue and Orange pair of these: https://www.xbladessports.com/boots/legend-flash-17-green-black

Without a doubt one of the best boots I've ever used. Great on all but the softest of pitch when I have to switch to a pair of Asics Soft Ground boots (that I don't particularly enjoy wearing as they feel so much heavier than the Xblades).

Tempted to buy the Soft-ground version of the Xblades for 25... Hmm do I need another pair of boots?

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have a Blue and Orange pair of these: https://www.xbladessports.com/boots/legend-flash-17-green-black

Without a doubt one of the best boots I've ever used. Great on all but the softest of pitch when I have to switch to a pair of Asics Soft Ground boots (that I don't particularly enjoy wearing as they feel so much heavier than the Xblades).

Tempted to buy the Soft-ground version of the Xblades for 25... Hmm do I need another pair of boots?

Blue and Orange???

I can hear North Hampshire District Hospital's Hypertension consultant's pager going off from here......................................before being transferred to a nice private hospital for nice people of course.

Harrrrr and indeed umphhhhhhh... for good measure.

Last edited: