22/25 Yard line

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Probably one for OB.

When I was a lad it was called the 25 yd line, then with the metric system it became the 22 metre line.
25 yards is 22.86 metres - why isn't it the 23 metre line. Pitches must be slight smaller than previously

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Doesn't matter where the line is just play. I've reffed on pitches marked for RL, 20 metre will do, play on

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
When I've reffed on a field marked only for American football I've always used the 25 yard line.

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Doesn't matter where the line is just play. I've reffed on pitches marked for RL, 20 metre will do, play on

Of course. I just wondered why they decided to choose 22 metres rather than the closer 23 metres. Just a thought of no relevance.

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Probably one for OB.

When I was a lad it was called the 25 yd line, then with the metric system it became the 22 metre line.
25 yards is 22.86 metres - why isn't it the 23 metre line. Pitches must be slight smaller than previously

You are showing your age, like me. I have had a few funny looks when I award a 25 drop out!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For clarity

The goal lines were 110 yards apart (solid lines)
The "Twenty Fives" were 25 yards from and in front of each goal line (solid lines)
Half way was 55 yards away from each goal line (solid line)
The "Ten Yard lines" were 10 yards either side of the half way line (dashed/dotted line)

There was no line of any kind like we have now 5m out from the goal line. Even though "Five Yard Scrums" were ordered under similar circumstances (the referee would judge or sometimes even pace out the five yards), a scrum for an infringement such as a knock-on or forward throw was set at the place of infringement; if the mark was a foot out form the goal line - that's where the scrum would be set.

The 5 yard lines parallel to the touchlines were dotted line (dots at 1 yard intervals) that ran all the way from goalline to goalline

The 15 yard lines parallel to the touchlines were just a short line across the half way line, the 25 yard line, and the goal line!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
sigh, I can remember referees pacing out 5 yards...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Of course. I just wondered why they decided to choose 22 metres rather than the closer 23 metres. Just a thought of no relevance.

I think it's because 22 sounds like it's a deliberate choice, not just the metric equivalent of 25 yards.