22 drop out

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Just to clear my mind, assume you can only have a 22 drop out these days if there is an attempt at goal or drop goal that is touched down/made dead by the defending team?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
All other scenarios that would have been a 22DO prior to current law trials, that do not meet any one of the 3 requirements specified in these law trials, are still a 22.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
All other scenarios that would have been a 22DO prior to current law trials, that do not meet any one of the 3 requirements specified in these law trials, are still a 22.

There aren’t any other scenarios other than the 2 in OP are there ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
22m drop outs can happen
- when attackers take the ball into in goal and make dead (eg step on DBL)
- attackers kick ball all the way through the in goal (options scrum or 22)
- drop goal attempt, penalty goal attempt touched down or made dead
- atttackers charge down ball into in goal and defenders touch down or ball goes over DBL
- restart kicks go into in goal (options)

may be others I have missed

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
22m drop outs can happen

- restart kicks go into in goal (options)

22 drop out isn't an option for this one:

[LAWS]If the ball is kicked into the opponents’ in-goal without touching any player and an opponent grounds the ball without delay or it goes dead through in-goal, the non-kicking team has the option of having the kick retaken or a scrum. [/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
22 drop out isn't an option for this one:

[LAWS]If the ball is kicked into the opponents’ in-goal without touching any player and an opponent grounds the ball without delay or it goes dead through in-goal, the non-kicking team has the option of having the kick retaken or a scrum. [/LAWS]

Correct - I meant to refer to the delay bit. If they delay (run wide or something) and THEN touch down I think it would be a 22m. But to be honest it never happens and if it did you could equally well give a GLD really, no one would argue with either decision

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
22m drop outs can happen
- when attackers take the ball into in goal and make dead (eg step on DBL)

Hadn't noticed or considered that one, wonder if that's deliberate or a mistake, would expect that to be a GLD to be honest

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hadn't noticed or considered that one, wonder if that's deliberate or a mistake, would expect that to be a GLD to be honest

that scenario (and various similar) has been missing from the Law Book for years.

it's not covered by the GLT, so would be carry on as normal. Which means, presumably, a 22m DO as stated in the laws pre 2018

WR don't like to make things easy

In practice then you could give either and I don't think anyone could gainsay you.
- nothing in the Law Book says it's a GLD
- notihng in the Law Book says it's a 22m

so fill your boots !

Last edited:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
From USARR

Screenshot_20210907-123425_Drive.jpg

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Thanks Dickie E. No chance I'll remember all that for my first game Saturday but I'm sure if I get it wrong there will be numerous options suggested from the touchline:)

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
.....but I'm sure if I get it wrong there will be numerous options suggested from the touchline:)

I'm pretty sure there will be numerous suggestions from the touchline whether you get it wrong or right!!