5 metre lineout this weekend

Elpablo73

Referees in England
Post Likes
Watched some of the Premiership games this weekend and have noticed that defensive teams are lining up on the 5 metre line, and not setting the middle of the lineout on the 5 metre line.
Have I missed some new guidance or was I been misinformed previously?

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Watched some of the Premiership games this weekend and have noticed that defensive teams are lining up on the 5 metre line, and not setting the middle of the lineout on the 5 metre line.
You haven’t missed anything. Strictly speaking by the wording of the laws it should be up the middle. But having raised this question at the highest level it has been deemed to be a referee’s decision as to where to position the lineout. So on another weekend you will see different referees position it different from the previous week. My observation tends to be that referees from other countries do tend to set a lineout with the line up the middle more than RFU referees.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Can you be more specific in terms of what your actual question is?

I'm guessing you are thinking the mark for the line should be on the 5m but at the end of the day the mark is where the referee says it is. If they feel it's appropriate to adjust slightly to best manage the game then so be it as far as I'm concerned! !

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'd say its clear that wherever the lineout actuially gets set wrt two lines of "catchers", the thrower starts standing on the midline, then takes a small step towards his own side before throwing in anyway. Its all rather irrelevant.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
First time I AR’s the referee asked us to use the lines where possible. So if a L/O is around the 10m line, make the mark so that one of the teams is on the line. Makes everything a little easier.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
First time I AR’s the referee asked us to use the lines where possible. So if a L/O is around the 10m line, make the mark so that one of the teams is on the line. Makes everything a little easier.
so what sort of distance is the leeway? 1m? 5 m? whichever line is nearest even if they are 17m apart ?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
so what sort of distance is the leeway? 1m? 5 m? whichever line is nearest even if they are 17m apart ?
Come on... don't be that guy!

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think this is a bit silly. The OP clearly wrote "where possible".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I quite often use a line, as a small distance either way isn't material.
but for a 5m line out, I use the 5m line as the centre - seems to me that close to the line half a metre is material

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I quite often use a line, as a small distance either way isn't material.
but for a 5m line out, I use the 5m line as the centre - seems to me that close to the line half a metre is material
No problem with that as far as I'm concerned!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I always make the defensive line mark and allow the throwing team to set their gap (within reason), so for me if there’s a line I’ll use it, for me the 5m would be where I expect the defence to be - makes it nice and easy for me (and them) - but I guess as long as you communicate what you want and are consistent it’s all good.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I always make the defensive line mark and allow the throwing team to set their gap (within reason), so for me if there’s a line I’ll use it, for me the 5m would be where I expect the defence to be - makes it nice and easy for me (and them) - but I guess as long as you communicate what you want and are consistent it’s all good.
for me that's given the defence an extra 50cm -- which isn't normally important, but so close to the try-line might as well get it precise.

So, I also mark the defensive line and I mark it about 50cm inside the 5m line.

Although at our level, again, it rarely really comes up, they don't often kick so accurately that they make touch between the goal line and 5m line !

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
for me that's given the defence an extra 50cm -- which isn't normally important, but so close to the try-line might as well get it precise.

So, I also mark the defensive line and I mark it about 50cm inside the 5m line.

Although at our level, again, it rarely really comes up, they don't often kick so accurately that they make touch between the goal line and 5m line !

True, but then with sleepy touch judges with unknown loyalties and boggy chewed up winter pitches with invisible lines who's to call me out on my accuracy - if that's the biggest grumble with the job I'm doing then I'm having a good day!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think this is a bit silly. The OP clearly wrote "where possible".
so what defines "where possible" - and is that 1m ? 2m? 0.01 m ?

why not ref the thing like the laws say? tell them wher YOU thiknk the line is instead of making stuff up as you go along?

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not keen on making the attackers go 10% further than they should.
We don't make kickers kick penalties 10% further.

KoolFork

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
the thrower starts standing on the midline, then takes a small step towards his own side before throwing in anyway.
Sorry for going off-topic, but why is this tolerated? And squint 5m throws?