50:22 and QTI

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Needed to VPN to the UK to get around the geolock but worth it - smart bit of play.

Quick question - QTI is disallowed if the ball is touched by a player other than the one throwing in. Would that apply if one of the opposition were to quickly pick up then drop the ball before the Bordeaux player got there (so gets the touch in without interfering with the oppo)?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Needed to VPN to the UK to get around the geolock but worth it - smart bit of play.

Quick question - QTI is disallowed if the ball is touched by a player other than the one throwing in. Would that apply if one of the opposition were to quickly pick up then drop the ball before the Bordeaux player got there (so gets the touch in without interfering with the oppo)?
For me it's ok to get there first and touch the ball, to stop the QTi

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Just after 9 minutes in

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes

It's called "touch" because originally the first team to touch the ball got the throw in :p it's OK to touch it to stop the QTI, IMO.

Maybe your society has rules/guidelines, though?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
For me it's ok to get there first and touch the ball, to stop the QTi
Agree but quite a negative law. I love to see that changed to reward positive play.

p.s. had a funny one Saturday. Defending line out for black just outside their 22.
Won and passed back to standoff inside 22 who wellies it into oppo 22 as I call, "carried back in"
The ball finds touch Red tackle a QTI I shout play on then howls from the crowd it's a 50:22.
Peep, sorry guys my mistake black line!
But he carried it back in sir says red skipper. Had a quick think. No mate, crowd are right. Yea, I think they are says red.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agree but quite a negative law. I love to see that changed to reward positive play.
I don't think it's in the Law, though . But for me it's ok for a player to race to touch the ball (but not for a sub or a coach)

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

p.s. had a funny one Saturday. Defending line out for black just outside their 22.
Won and passed back to standoff inside 22 who wellies it into oppo 22 as I call, "carried back in"
The ball finds touch Red tackle a QTI I shout play on then howls from the crowd it's a 50:22.
Peep, sorry guys my mistake black line!
But he carried it back in sir says red skipper. Had a quick think. No mate, crowd are right. Yea, I think they are says red.

I assume it bounced before going into touch (as required for a 50:22), hence carrying it back into attacking 22 is irrelevant.

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I assume it bounced before going into touch (as required for a 50:22), hence carrying it back into attacking 22 is irrelevant.
For clarity, A 50:22 does not apply if carried back into the kicking team’s half. However, in @Ciaran Trainor’s story, the kicking team was in their own half the whole time before kicking. They carried it back into their own 22 before kicking, which is not relevant to a 50:22.