50:22 from a free kick

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Blue fly half on red’s 10m line, attempts cross field kick and red winger catches it in his 22 and calls a mark. He then taps it and kicks it indirectly into touch in blues 22. Is it a 50:22?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Once tapped its open play so yes.

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Once tapped its open play so yes.
What if he doesn’t tap it first? I think the 50:22 would still apply? A free kick isn’t a restart kick under the definitions so I believe the 50:22 would still be on.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
No need to tap first.
50/22 is allowed from a FK.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
FTR I was responding to the original query "He then taps it and kicks it indirectly" but I concur a non tapped FK is still a 50:22 in these circumstances

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Quick question on this scenario… I’ve never seen the kick after a mark taken as anything other than a tap and go or a punt, but am I right in thinking that the kick after the mark is just a free kick with the extra requirement that the FK must be taken by the player who called mark?

The law for PK and FK has:
20.8 The kicker may punt, drop-kick or place-kick (other than for touch) the ball.
If the FK is taken as place kick, am I correct in my belief that they cannot get a 50:22 if the place kick goes into touch in the opponents 22?

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
I cant see any mark being taken as a place kick, but if they take a place kick from any free kick, if the ball bounces into touch as a 50:22 has to, I would allow it

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
So to really muddy the waters I was watching Lions v Scarlets at altitude in the URC yesterday. 9min 30sec. FK for an early drive at the scrum by Scarlets in Lions 22. Lions fly half leathers it and it goes indirectly in to touch. Ref says no 50:22 as it came from a FK. (On viewing I actually thought it went directly into touch but they didn't give any really good angles). Referee can be heard giving his explanation on the mic. "No 50:22 as from FK."
I asked members of my society and they said that basically the ref was incorrect.

Apologies for the awful video but best I could do at the time.

Attachments

• IMG_1770.mp4
    18.4 MB

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The relevant laws are as follows:

18.8a A player, in their own half, kicks the ball indirectly into touch in the opposition’s 22. Either the team did not take the ball into their half, or a tackle, ruck or maul took place within the half, or an opponent touched the ball within the half. This variation does not apply at a kick-off or any type of restart kick.

This only applies if the ball goes "indirectly" into touch.
Does not apply at a kick off or any type or restart kick. This is covered in the definitions.

Kick-off:
The method of starting each half of a match and at the beginning of each period of extra-time with a drop-kick.

Restart kick: The method of restarting play with a drop-kick after a score or a touch-down.

So you can have a 50:22 from a Free Kick, a Mark, or a 22 Drop out, but it cannot go straight into touch.

Looks like either the referee in the video got it wrong, or got it right for the wrong reason?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Really a FK is in fact a type of restart kick.
A mark is a way of stopping play so logically play must restart after a stoppage ie by taking the FK!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
A mark is a way of stopping play so logically play must restart after a stoppage ie by taking the FK!
except the laws (see above) have the following defintion
Restart kick: The method of restarting play with a drop-kick after a score or a touch-down.
and a FK is not these QED is not a restart. merely a way to get play started again. :)

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Looks like either the referee in the video got it wrong, or got it right for the wrong reason?
This is what I went with. It looked straight out but the TV angle was poor. AR was right there. Interesting that the Lions' players questioned the decision though which then makes me lean towards the former.

This came up in our society chat but as @didds points out, a restart kick is clearly defined in law. Basically GLDO, 22DO or DO after a score.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So you can have a 50:22 from a Free Kick, a Mark, or a 22 Drop out, but it cannot go straight into touch.
can you help me with the bold bit please?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Edited to remove 'Brainfart '

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
can you help me with the bold bit please?

Some 22 DO's are not as the result of a touch down, so not classified as a restart under the definitions.

I admit its a grey area that could do with clarification.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Some 22 DO's are not as the result of a touch down, so not classified as a restart under the definitions.

I admit its a grey area that could do with clarification.
I'd consider that a typo. I can't believe that anyone would treat a non-touchdown 22 DO any differently to a touchdown 22 DO.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I'd consider that a typo. I can't believe that anyone would treat a non-touchdown 22 DO any differently to a touchdown 22 DO.

Possibly, but it's a gap in the law that needs clarifying. You could argue it either way in law and would be correct both times!

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
If there is a grey area there will be somewhere some smart alec coach or captain who would have read the law book and start appealing in the rare case it comes up.