[In-goal] 6.11.A

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I was reading Law 6 for another post and read something that stuck out to me.

[LAWS]6.11

If the ball-carrier touches the referee or other non-player in in-goal and either team gains an advantage:

(A) If the ball is in possession of an attacking player, the referee awards a try where the contact takes place.[/LAWS]

Is this another way to score? Just touch the referee? If you are being held up, have one of your subs warming up in the in-goal touch you, try awarded?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Need to gain an advantage though? But maybe an attacking player runs into a sub warming up, prevents a tackle, therefore attacking team gain an advantage therefore try?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I was reading Law 6 for another post and read something that stuck out to me.

[LAWS]6.11

If the ball-carrier touches the referee or other non-player in in-goal and either team gains an advantage:

(A) If the ball is in possession of an attacking player, the referee awards a try where the contact takes place.[/LAWS]

Is this another way to score? Just touch the referee? If you are being held up, have one of your subs warming up in the in-goal touch you, try awarded?

I’d call that a breach of 3.7 and treat it accordingly

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I'll be staying away from the ball-carrier.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Looking at the second part of that law,

6.11.b. If the ball is in possession of a defending player, the referee awards a touch down where the contact took place

Am I right in thinking then that if the defending team take the ball into their own in goal area and, whilst exiting with the ball, collide with the ref/non-player and their exit is prevented, the decision would be scrum 5 attacking ball?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Looking at the second part of that law,

6.11.b. If the ball is in possession of a defending player, the referee awards a touch down where the contact took place

Am I right in thinking then that if the defending team take the ball into their own in goal area and, whilst exiting with the ball, collide with the ref/non-player and their exit is prevented, the decision would be scrum 5 attacking ball?

I think it means you treat it as if the defending player had touched down - so if brought into in goal by attackers = 22m DO, if by the defenders = 5m scrum

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thats how I read the law. Just struck me as being not particularly fair if, through no fault of the ball carrier, he/she concedes an attacking scrum.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Taking the ball back into your own in-goal is always a risk; it's not the ball carrier's fault if the other team have great line speed and tackle them either. Running into the ref seems at least partly your own fault. :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
these things are so rare anyway- I can't remember ever colliding with a player in goal.

It's hard to think how it would most likely happen?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I did it once early in my reffing days, 5m penalty and I was badly positioned. Defending player accidentally ran into me, knocked me into the attacking player, I gave the try - fortunately no controversy.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
At my level it's much more likely to be a discarded tackle bag, drinks bottle holder, dog walker, dog without walker, stray child or other team taking a short cut to their own pitch.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I did it once early in my reffing days, 5m penalty and I was badly positioned. Defending player accidentally ran into me, knocked me into the attacking player, I gave the try - fortunately no controversy.

bet that hurt !

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Haha, I was the biggest of the three, ex second rower here. No-one was injured!