6 Nations review.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
(Based on Reports and opinions I respect)

Wales B+

At times very, very good (Ireland 80 mins, England 40 mins, Scotland 40 mins, Italy in patches, France 40 mins)

England C-

So much in terms of talent but something seiously wrong as bot hthe Wales and Scotland games showed.. T obe celebrating getting out of jail after being 31-0 in the lead speaks volumes. Yet they "prison shamed" Ireland)

Ireland D-

Twise they were were challenged and twice found wanting. They won the games they hould have won wit htheir eyes closed and were never in the big ones. Sexton a petulant little boy. Big questions. Have they peaked too early?

France E

What on earth can you say. Simply terrible for the former giants. Sides are not even bullied by them anymore.

Scotland D

There is "something" there but a lot of work to do.I'm just not sure what that "sometihing" is. Time will tell.

Italy D (for effort)

THey keep coming back but they just a lacking so much. Unlucky against France and to a degree against Wales. I wonder how much is belief?

Over all NOT a vintage Tournament. Entertaining in parts (England Vs Scotland seems to have been worth watching)

Wales' Slam? You can only win 5 games out of 5. A slam is always "vintage" and deserved. You can only beat what is infront of you.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Broadly agree Mark. I cannot understand how England continue to lose games they should win. They clearly have the physical fitness, but they seem to be massively lacking in mental fitness. The way they imploded against Wales and then coughed up a huge lead to Scotland - although that is not to take anything away from the efforts of Scotland - make me very concerned for the RWC.

Wales was a tough game, but they looked like rabbits dazzled in headlights. Scotland should have been put to the sword and yet after the first Scotland try - from an OF intercept - the wobbles started and the confidence got on the first available bus down the Richmond Road.

France were dire the whole tournament, and this is - I suspect - a result of the way the game is played in the French leagues. Poor fitness and intensity.

Italy must be applauded for their endeavour, but perhaps the time is right for a relegation play off to the Tier 2 championship.

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Its easy to understand how England lost to Wales and drew with Scotland, they stopped doing what they did in the 1st half, and just kicked the ball away every time they had it in the 2nd half. Maybe Eddie should look at the England Ladies game and how they just kepp running the ball

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't think they will ever replace Italy with Georgia .... who want to swap a spring day in Rome with grim winter in Tiblisi

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'm summit on the Italy thing. Im not convinced swapping them for a team they've beaten in their two encounters will improve matters. But he wise can gets her better.

And be careful what you wish for... Wrt a team other than outlay ending up bottom....

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Scotland has a shallow bench.

We lost Hogg, Huw Jones, and the first (and most of the second choice) back row. A couple of matches without the front row of choice...

We simply don't have enough in depth to go a whole tournament with that kind of attrition.

When we were good, we were pretty good. When we were bad...oy!

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I think Owen Farrell is an exceptional player, but lacks something as captain. When the game plan works England are awesome, but when it falters they look lost in a way they never did under Hartley or Johnson. Compare with Alun Wyn Jones, who's a presence on the field above and beyond his play.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
OF is not a capatin - indeed, witness second halves v wales and scotland.

Its all down to EJs capatincy concepts/thoughts ulti,mately though

presuming hartley has had his day, who then steps (hypothetically) into that role? Launchbury? Kruise? Itoje?

didds

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I think Itoje is a bit young although definitely a candidate long-term. Launch didn't have a great 6N and Kruis doesn't seem very fiery. The front row are also fairly green, although Mako might be an option. What about Wilson?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Youve hit the nail on the head really Rich - I don;t think any of them are capraincy material. mako? Nope. FRs will get subbed off at some timne whatever and that deosn't make for good continuity (IMO). Id alos personally prefer someone who is "definite" on the team sheet so TBH launchbury and Kruis aren't in that bracket. Though Id disagree that a skipper has to be fiery, FWTW. That leavs the back rowers and wilson isn;t stanbding out to be skipper and is relatively inexperienced still. So that brings us to the back line. Nobody! Ford maybe?

didds

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
How long does Eliot Daly have in him?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
There's a name I sort of thought about to be fair. But I'm not convinced captaining from full back "works". But that to be fair again is just my own un-defendable in built bias.

didds

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I'm still not convinced he should be on the pitch to be honest, thought he was poor defensively and particularly 'wow' in attack, seems others see something in him though.

Realistically Farrell is the best placed and most experienced regular, but can't shoulder all that responsibility himself (has his own issues to deal with still too), so if we're doing co-captains then maybe someone like Wilson, or Itjoe to shoulder some of that. Or in the case of Saturday give the whole squad a 'wake the #### up' 20 minutes in to the second half!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Or in the case of Saturday give the whole squad a 'wake the #### up' 20 minutes in to the second half!

quite.

which comes down to EJ, or assistant coaches surely?

didds

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
There's a name I sort of thought about to be fair. But I'm not convinced captaining from full back "works". But that to be fair again is just my own un-defendable in built bias.

didds
Gavin Hastings? Andy Irvine? Tom Kiernan? Percy Montgomery?

It isn't the position, it's whether the skipper can actually...lead

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Speaking as a back (long retired), however frustrating at the time, at some point you need the pack leader to take charge and decided that for the next 10 minutes this ball is going nowhere. Farrell is an outstanding fly half but I don’t see anyone in the pack with equivalent gravitas and that doesn’t make for good decision making. Whilst watching England in full flow is fabulous, poor decision making has been a factor for some time now. I see lots of talented athletes who can express themselves when required but I see few rugby players who can adapt. The great sides have obvious leaders and I don’t see anyone who is better than primus inter pares in the current England team

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Speaking as a back (long retired), however frustrating at the time, at some point you need the pack leader to take charge and decided that for the next 10 minutes this ball is going nowhere. Farrell is an outstanding fly half but I don’t see anyone in the pack with equivalent gravitas and that doesn’t make for good decision making. Whilst watching England in full flow is fabulous, poor decision making has been a factor for some time now. I see lots of talented athletes who can express themselves when required but I see few rugby players who can adapt. The great sides have obvious leaders and I don’t see anyone who is better than primus inter pares in the current England team

Martin Johnson. World Cup. Taking it on the extra few yards to make sure that Wilkinson was close enough. Leadership.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
quite.

which comes down to EJ, or assistant coaches surely?

didds

To a point yes, but there was a thread elsewhere (possibly rugbypass) talking about the lack of leaders we have on pitch, not just captains, but senior players who work as that leadership team - we don't have that, and it's needed, because if the captain is having an off game then someone needs to step in

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The problem, I am hearing, with England seems to be that Farrell is going "AWOL" for periods in a lot of games. His temperament is doubtful and, fine player he maybe (when on song), he is prone to "losing the plot both discipline and ability wise. Compare to MJ who seemed to be very like Alan-Wyn, a player who consistently is is "up there". England need a captain who is "Mr Reliable". Surely amongst the many players at Eddie's disposal there must be a more reliable option than OF.

A fully firing England will be the best bet amongst the NH countries to rest the trophy away from the All Blacks.But they need to "man up" when the challenge comes on.

Wales will man up but I'm not sure they have the game plan to trouble the All Blacks.

Ireland may have peaked a year to early.

The other NH sides can, I feel, be discounted come Japan.

But time will tell.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Martin Johnson. World Cup. Taking it on the extra few yards to make sure that Wilkinson was close enough. Leadership.
My (imperfect) memory says it was because Dawson was stuck in the ruck so it was necessary to free him first. However I certainly agree about Johnson's captaincy.