6 point try bites the dust

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I'm reliably informed that the 6 point try is being dropped after the year long trial in Wales. No loss to the game at all. T'was a stupid idea.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
More tries scored. but almost all from catch and drive where team spurned the 2 pt PK. It did not produce attacking rugby. Funny that WR were told before that was exactly what would happen!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Meanwhile, the five point try (with three point conversion and two point PK) seems to have worked very well in the Australian NRC where the attacking rugby has been excellent.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Three point conversion? Interesting: Less insenitve for the line out catch and drive.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Three point conversion? Interesting: Less insenitve for the line out catch and drive.

Yes. I think the intent was to reduce the reward for penalty goals without diminishing the importance of having a good goal-kicker.

This ratio of conversion to converted try brings us back closer to the ratio before the four point try was introduced.

3/8 = 37.5%

2/5 = 40%

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
More tries scored. but almost all from catch and drive where team spurned the 2 pt PK. It did not produce attacking rugby.

Isn't catch & drive attacking rugby?

And certainly no evidence of the "cheat's charter" that many were concerned about

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Isn't catch & drive attacking rugby?

And certainly no evidence of the "cheat's charter" that many were concerned about

Not in my book no. The public did not want it. Nor did they, in general find it entertaining. One Flanker scored 17 tries last season all from catch and drive 5 mtr line outs. There were plenty of PTs to from colapsed mauls with cards in abundance. If was terrible. But what do I know I was only at many of the games where it was happening. Talking to the refs they were not happy. Two of the league sides wanted to keep the idea the rest wanted it gone. At least peopel were listened to and not the misleading statistic regarding tries.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I think the laws are really good right now. We have seen some excellent rugby in the Super Season and I think at least part of this comes down to the fact that there is a good balance between attack and defence.

I suggest we don't need any dramatic changes to the laws right now.