A couple of clarifications please (u10s)

Billieblob

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
1. If a maul collapses, without foul play, assuming all the players involved in the maul are off their feet, therefore a ruck hasn't formed (I.e. Open play), can the next arriving player pick up the ball and run?

2. Regulation 15 states the ball must be played away from the contact area (defined regulation 15 a) vi as tackle ruck or maul). Elsewhere in the rules, it clearly states the ball must be passed away from the scrum or when ripped. In this context then, does the definition of played equal passed, or can the player retrieving the ball from a ruck or maul run with it?

Many thanks in anticipation of an answer to my first post.

Cheers

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Welcome - and thanks for asking an u10 NROP in your first post, gives me a chance to have an opinion on something I have at least experienced.

1) In short I'd say no, the arriving player has to pass. Given that you can only have two players from each team in a maul I would say that the 'collapsed maul' is actually a 'tackle'. Given that there were two players involved in that tackle whoever arrives next only has the passing option left.

Section 6 here has all the wording if anyone is interested:-
http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Docu...ppdx_1_new_under_10_rules_of_play_Neutral.pdf

2) Not sure which section you are quoting but the November clarifications in the link above all say "pass the ball" where relevant as this is what they probably intended??

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Given that you can only have two players from each team in a maul I would say that the 'collapsed maul' is actually a 'tackle'. Given that there were two players involved in that tackle whoever arrives next only has the passing option left.
Dan_A, I think you may be confused here. The link you posted shows there is a very clear distinction between a tackle and a maul:

b) A “maul” is formed when the ball carrier and tackler are joined by one additional player from either the defending or attacking team. No more than two players from either side (including the ball carrier and tackler) can be involved in the maul.

So when the ball carrier was held by an opponent, we had a tackle. If a second opponent joined, we still had a tackle. But when a team mate of the ball carrier arrives, we have a maul - and no-one else can join. If that maul then goes to ground, what is the position?

6k) When a maul is formed the ball must be made available within 5 seconds. The referee should call “Use it” and the ball should be moved away from the contact area. If neither team can pass the ball away, a scrum should be awarded to the defending team.

Here lies Billieblob's dilemma. The first bold underlined text implies that a player can run the abll away; the second implies that only a pass will do.

I suggest that a pass is intended. With such limited contest allowed at a maul, there may well be no defence around the (very large) fringes. But I don't know.

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
1) Yes, I agree with Dan and Dixie. The player must pass.

2) Yes, I agree with Dan and Dixie. The Player must pass.

@Dixie - Just to be clear, at U10 NROP, as soon as one additional player joins the tackler and ball carrier (who are on their feet) we have a maul.

[LAWS]b) A “maul” is formed when the ball carrier and tackler are joined by one additional player from either the defending or attacking team. No more than two players from either side (including the ball carrier and tackler) can be involved in the maul.[/LAWS]

(My emphasis)

Thanks,

Antony

Billieblob

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thank you for your input and welcomes.

I reluctantly agree. I thought that was what was intended, but hoped otherwise.