Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Schools u18 game.

Boy does a "squeeze ball" :nono: PK!

But sir, i was on my knees, so it's OK :chin:

New one on me, one for the RR.com myths page :wink:

Oh yes and again the (uncontested scrums fav), "sir the no.8 isn't allowed to pick up"!

"Those London refs need to learn their laws" :wink:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Austin Healey:
A tackled player, who is being held on the ground, can't pop the ball up to a support runner. It's an area of law that needs looked at because so many teams are doing it.

Quins -v- Sarries.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well, he has sort of a point. Clearly the tackled player can release or pass etc... but some of the time gaps allowed to do so really stretch it somewhat.

didds

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
well, he has sort of a point. Clearly the tackled player can release or pass etc... but some of the time gaps allowed to do so really stretch it somewhat.

didds

Yes, but the solution is a defender on his feet to approach to play the ball and the tackled player loses his right to pass and can only then release to the opposition.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Schools u18 game.

Oh yes and again the (uncontested scrums fav), "sir the no.8 isn't allowed to pick up"!

An issue of safety rather than anything else. It's unclear in the age grade variations (rfu land) that it is given anything more than a free kick?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Schools u18 game.

Apologies for the stupid q...but is squeeze ball at below u18 totally outlawed there? Or was it that he just took too long to make the ball available?

Over here thw technique is only outlawed u6 - u12s

Last edited:

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Apologies for the stupid q...but is squeeze ball at below u18 totally outlawed there? Or was it that he just took too long to make the ball available?

Over here it's only outlawed u6 - u12s

rfu land age grade variation u13-u18. "No player shall use the technique...."

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
In Wales squeezeball is outlawed up to and including youth.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
my bugbear is when touring school teams come over here especially from UK. After they have already played 3 or 4 games around the country I ask the touring skipper at pre-match 2 questions to which the answers are invariably "no":

"are you aware that squeezeball is legal here?"
"are you aware of the Mayday protocol?"

SMH

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
my bugbear is when touring school teams come over here especially from UK. After they have already played 3 or 4 games around the country I ask the touring skipper at pre-match 2 questions to which the answers are invariably "no":

"are you aware that squeezeball is legal here?"
"are you aware of the Mayday protocol?"

SMH
In which case, presumably neither has occurred so far.

Who do you think is at fault, the visitors for not knowing the differences, or the earlier hosts for not explaining them?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In which case, presumably neither has occurred so far.

Presumably, yes. If there had been a serious breach (ie an Australian player was now in a wheelchair because the English scrum hadn't known about & complied with Mayday) then it would be all over the media.

I'm also critical of previous Australian referees who hadn't ensured that the visitors were briefed.

Who do you think is at fault, the visitors for not knowing the differences, or the earlier hosts for not explaining them?

Both IMO &, in particular, the previous referee/s.

If I was the visiting coach/teacher in charge I'd ask the local hosts if there were any local requirements that I should be aware of. And if I was the host, I'd inform the visitors, in writing, of any local requirements.

I'd also brief / discuss with the referee on what had been conveyed.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But the "mayday" protocol is not something you can turn up on the day and take them through. It has to be taught and practiced/drilled with the scrum pack. The onus really has to be on the host union when the tour is ratified/approved, presumably in writing, that they supply the visitors with details and guidance - surely???

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But the "mayday" protocol is not something you can turn up on the day and take them through. It has to be taught and practiced/drilled with the scrum pack. The onus really has to be on the host union when the tour is ratified/approved, presumably in writing, that they supply the visitors with details and guidance - surely???

well, ideally, yes.

But what are you going to do on the day when you ask the visitors if they're aware of Mayday and they answer "no"?

I tell them that if they hear a Mayday call, stop pushing, drop to your knees and then I'll tell you what to do next.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Presumably, yes. If there had been a serious breach (ie an Australian player was now in a wheelchair because the English scrum hadn't known about & complied with Mayday) then it would be all over the media.

I'm also critical of previous Australian referees who hadn't ensured that the visitors were briefed.

Both IMO &, in particular, the previous referee/s.

If I was the visiting coach/teacher in charge I'd ask the local hosts if there were any local requirements that I should be aware of. And if I was the host, I'd inform the visitors, in writing, of any local requirements.

I'd also brief / discuss with the referee on what had been conveyed.
Agreed, but it is not easy to know what questions to ask. For example do your regulations specifically say "Squeeze ball is allowed" or should the visitors infer it from the lack of any regulation? etc.

I suppose it is down to the various Unions granting permission to tour to keep up to date with regulations at common touring destinations.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
well, ideally, yes.

But what are you going to do on the day when you ask the visitors if they're aware of Mayday and they answer "no"?

I tell them that if they hear a Mayday call, stop pushing, drop to your knees and then I'll tell you what to do next.

From memory you refereed Leeds Grammar a week or so before me - they were very well briefed :pepper:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"don't waste your breath, ref. The old, bald-headed bloke in Melbourne told us all of this guff last week" :)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
well, ideally, yes.

Yes - well ..um er...I have to agree. Even locally new coaches don't teach their team the protocol and you're right I do the same for junior games so that a game can be played.

But the protocol is well documented in ARU materials - it can't be that hard for the unions to have a stand alone version of the protocol document they can provide to the touring side so they can practice it (it's not hard!).

on second thoughts - strike that - we already know the ability of ARU's and unions communications strategy.

(wait till you get the Blue Card stuff for next season! Hopefully they have fixed it up - it was like reading swiss cheese!)

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Agreed, but it is not easy to know what questions to ask. For example do your regulations specifically say "Squeeze ball is allowed" or should the visitors infer it from the lack of any regulation? etc.

I suppose it is down to the various Unions granting permission to tour to keep up to date with regulations at common touring destinations.

we actually have a good document called "Game management guidelines" and that covers most of the do's and don'ts and outlines how us ozzies are 'supposed' to manage the game! That could be easily provided and although I don't know for sure - i'd like to think it would be provided to Int'l touring sides?