[Law] A New Myth!!!!!!!

IdrisDragon

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
An issue of safety rather than anything else. It's unclear in the age grade variations (rfu land) that it is given anything more than a free kick?

Agree completely about RFU regulation 15 being unclear on squeezeball.

When I asked for clarification from my society I was emphatically told PK; whenever I have given a PK there has been no quibble from players or coaches.

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
I found this post by OB in RugbyRefs archives from March 2006 which should help align referees in terms of squeeze ball.

"A bit long, but here is the RFU release, which quotes the relevant IRB Note. You will see it is not an ELV, but a request by the IRB for Unions to take domestic action."

The Elite game, including the England side, has in recent seasons developed a technique which has become known as squeezeball. This technique involves a ball carrier making contact with opponents, going to ground, usually keeping his/her body parallel to the touch line, holding the ball on his/her chest and, when on the floor, protecting and pushing the ball back through his/her legs. This results in ball retention and subsequent presentation for the side in possession.
Younger players are great mimics and will adopt techniques seen applied by adults regardless of their ability to perform them or of potential threats to their personal safety.

The Safety issues for youth players are:
(i) The ball carrier exposing his/her neck to danger from arriving players from either team.
(ii) The ball carrier not moving away/not being able to move away.
(iii) Arriving players:
(a) Being driven to ground by team mates and landing dangerously themselves.
(b) Driving dangerously against/onto the nape of the neck of an opponent trying to pick up the ball.
(c) Driving dangerously onto the player executing the "squeezeball technique".
These are all done in an attempt to retain or regain the ball on the ground.
These techniques often result in players’ shoulders being lower than their hips -"shoulders above hips", is a fundamental criterion for safety throughout all levels of the game (but especially the younger, less physically mature), at scrummage, ruck, maul and tackle.
Coaches are encouraged to educate and coach their players in alternative safe techniques (which are described in the RFU Coaching Handbooks) and explain to them why this advice has been given.
On 8 November 2001, the International Rugby Board (IRB) issued the following Note on Interpretation of Law 15.6 (d) - the Tackled Player:

"Law 15.6(d) states: "A tackled player may release the ball by pushing it along the ground in any direction except forward, providing this is done immediately."
In recent times players having been tackled or who go to ground have done so ensuring that the ball is underneath them, they then push the ball along the ground and through their legs (a practice known as squeeze ball).
On most occasions when players attempt to push the ball along the ground under their bodies they are not making the ball available immediately and they are in contravention of Law 14.1 and Law 15.6 (d). Players who attempt the action are liable to penalty unless the ball is immediately available."
With an emphasis on immediately, Referees have been instructed to enforce the above strictly.

In addition, because of the potential dangers and safety hazard of these techniques, the IRB has requested all Unions to introduce appropriate domestic regulations to make the action, referred to as squeezeball, illegal for all age levels from under 18 downwards.

Accordingly, the RFU Council, in accordance with RFU Rules 4.13 and 12.2, has introduced the following new RFU Regulations to take effect immediately:

YOUNG PLAYERS - Squeezeball

No player involved in a match at any age level from under 18 downwards shall use in training or in a match the technique known or referred to as squeezeball.
No person involved in the teaching or coaching of the game may teach or coach players involved in a match at any age level from under 18 downwards or encourage such players to use the technique known or referred to as squeezeball.

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just checked shortened version of World Rugby Law Book 2018 and it makes no reference to squeeze ball in Under 19 law variations.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just checked shortened version of World Rugby Law Book 2018 and it makes no reference to squeeze ball in Under 19 law variations.

I don't think it was in the 2017 Law Book either - the RFU banned it in age group rugby in England, it's not a global thing

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
View attachment 3676
I don't think it was in the 2017 Law Book either - the RFU banned it in age group rugby in England, it's not a global thing

Dear CrossRef - if IRB Interpretation of the Law 15.6 (d) dated 8 November 2001 is no longer global then please advise when it was withdrawn?

I am now coaching HRURS referees and plan to update the attached matrix to assist them when refereeing the age grades in Hampshire. I started this in 2004 - 05 and found it useful in dealing with coaches (mis) interpretation of the laws and local myths.

It was only updated with an audit trail back to IRB or RFU. Matrix would be checked by Simon Thomas (with very few Hrmpphs) before being uploaded to HRURS website.

Happy New Year btw.

Attachments

• HRURS_Youth_Age_Guide 2013-14.pdf
    97.1 KB · Views: 11

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
in England it's very clear -- in age group rugby the RFU write the regs - and you can't use squeeze ball

[LAWS]3. Squeezeball:
No player shall use the technique known or referred to as “Squeezeball” and
no person involved in the teaching or coaching of rugby may teach or coach
to encourage the use the “Squeezeball” technique.
Note: “Squeezeball” is a technique where the ball carrier goes to ground,
head forward (touching or close to the ground), irrespective of immediate
contact with opponents, usually keeping parallel to the touchline, holding
and protecting the ball close to the chest and, when on the ground, pushing
the ball back between the legs.[/LAWS]

http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Docu...32/72/59/RFURegulation15Appendix9_English.pdf

In the rest of the world I don't really know. I am not familiar with a 2001 interpretation - but I would have thought the 2018 Laws would take precedence. Anyway every union writes its own Regulations and no doubt some ban squeezeball while others don't care

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
In France, no squeeze ball in underage rugby, (categories B,C,D*) up to (and including) U18.
*Underage rugby is divided into categories A, B,C,D based on skill set of players.

U19 squads not competing in Category A will not be allowed used the tactic either.
Also outlawed in Sevens up to U18 in France.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Because its not banned at U19...only at U18 and below.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
it might be sensible to ban it in the U19 variations - but that would be a law change.
Perhaps we should lobby for that for the 2019 law book.

In the RFU regulations it is banned is in the appendices to regulation 15, listed separately for every age grade.

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
it might be sensible to ban it in the U19 variations - but that would be a law change.
Perhaps we should lobby for that for the 2019 law book.

In the RFU regulations it is banned is in the appendices to regulation 15, listed separately for every age grade.

To ensure that it is refereed consistently it would have been useful if RFU law variation had included Sanction (Penalty) as they have for under 15 - Scrum half offence.

Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes

In the IRB circular quoted above by OB, it was clear the IRBintended this to apply at under 18 and younger, so it is no surprise it is not in the under 19 law variations - though perhaps it should be?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In the IRB circular quoted above by OB, it was clear the IRBintended this to apply at under 18 and younger, so it is no surprise it is not in the under 19 law variations - though perhaps it should be?

I don't think world rugby make law variations for u18 do they ? Isn't that delegated to national unions

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I don't think world rugby make law variations for u18 do they ? Isn't that delegated to national unions

I believe so - like crutch binding in scrums, which is banned in Australia (except in some elite competitions) but OK elsewhere; or lifting in lineouts which starts at U13 in Australia (with leg lifting at U16 up) but at different ages elsewhere; or scrum halves trailing which is banned in NZ but OK in Australia ......

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I know that this is banned by SRU at U18 and below but no mention in Age Grade Variations or Guidelines for Refereeeing Domestic Rugby.

Pinky, do you know where this edict is laid down? Nothing on Hive that I can find.