[Law] A New Myth!!!!!!!

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
A document listing theage grade variations round the world might be an interesting thing to build on the wiki.

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sydney Juniors are here (for up to and including U12, after that they follow ARU U19): http://www.snrr.org.au/laws-of-the-game

ARU U19 are here: http://www.rugbyaustralia.com.au/Portals/22/2017 Laws/U19 Laws ARU 2017.pdf

I have carried out a quick scan of threads and links to current under 18 law variations and it would appear that only governing bodies who do not make reference to IRB 2001 request for squeeze ball to be penalised by referee at under 18 and below are Australia and New Zealand http://www.boprugby.co.nz/downloads/DSLV 2017 v2.pdf

It would be interesting to know if referees in Australia and New Zealand penalise this dangerous technique/ practice or whether it is allowed?

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Last edited:

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
I seem to remember that it was outlawed several years ago in Oz but has crept back in. I'm not aware that it is defined as being illegal in any of our documents.

Here's a bit of interesting history:

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/media/leagues/3817/graphics/SQUEEZE BALL.pdf

Thanks Dickie it looks as though RugbyCanada needed to remind referees and coaches in 2009 about IRB 2001 law interpretation.

I have noticed it in the Elite game that as a player sees he is isolated and going to be tackled by two players will go to ground and carryout squeeze ball (quickly). They are only penalised if player on his feet manages to get hands on ball before supporting players arrive.

I would bet my bottom dollar that this technique will be coached at Academy level which includes under 18 players. Will ask Hampshire Training Officer to raise at January meeting.

Keep us informed if anything happens in Australia because we often get visiting under 18 school sides.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It seems odd that the IRB would issue this statement but then not include it in the global laws:

“Unions are requested to adopt Domestic Variations, which makes the action known as the squeeze ball, illegal for all age levels from under 18 downwards.” (Memo from IRB Interpretation, November 8, 2001).

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I seem to remember that it was outlawed several years ago in Oz but has crept back in. I'm not aware that it is defined as being illegal in any of our documents.

Here's a bit of interesting history:

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/media/leagues/3817/graphics/SQUEEZE BALL.pdf

Certainly only outlawed below u13s..and documented. Also documented positive for u13 and above in our GMGs.
"The tackled player must not position their body (eg. ‘squeeze ball’) to delay the release of the ball when
isolated or under pressure. The ball must be available immediately for play (PK). (Note: this technique is
illegal entirely in Pathway U6-U12)."

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
It seems odd that the IRB would issue this statement but then not include it in the global laws:

Sadly, whilst a daft call , it is not odd for World Rugby given their track record.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

“Unions are requested to adopt Domestic Variations, which makes the action known as the squeeze ball, illegal for all age levels from under 18 downwards.” (Memo from IRB Interpretation, November 8, 2001).

Presumable because there is no U18 section in the law book to place it in?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Under 18 Variations are delegated to unions aren't they, so under current arrangements WR cannot direct what is in them, only request

[LAWS]Each union should create a pathway programme for youth players. Through this programme,
young players can be gradually introduced to the various phases of rugby at an appropriate
time, offering them more protection from injury. The age and content of this programme
should be determined by each union, depending on the unique characteristics of the playing
environment within that union[/LAWS]

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Under 18 Variations are delegated to unions aren't they, so under current arrangements WR cannot direct what is in them, only request

a coroner would have a field day

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
That could easily be changed.

So add an U18 chapter just to include the line "no squeeze ball"..........right after making the book 50% shorter!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
They can't have an u18 section as that's delegated to unions
They could put no squeezeball in the u19 section, and then it would by default apply to u18 as well, unless a union in their u18 regs specifically said it was ok (which I think would be very unlikely)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A coroner ?

"it is my sad duty to inform you Mr Rumpole, and your client, that the young boy has died"
"Most regrettable, Your Honour"
"Was your client, World Rugby, aware that the technique known as 'squeezeball' was dangerous?"
"Oh yes, Your Honour. Then known as the IRB, they issued a directive in 2001 that it be banned for children"
"A directive? Why didn't they outlaw it in their own global law book, as they did for cavalry charge and flying wedge?"
"Well, they only wanted to ban it for U18 and there is only a variation section for U19. Get's very messy"
"Quite. Why didn't they ban it for U19 then? 17 year olds, 18 year olds ... not a significant difference"
"I see your point, Your Honour"
So, having issued the directive, did all Unions implement the ban?"
My client is not aware, Your Honour"
So, here we are, 17 years after the directive was issued, and they didn't follow up to ensure the ban was in place and have no idea who did and didn't implement it?"
"Well, no, Your Honour. Things got a bit busy ... 2003 World Cup and all that. I guess ... they forgot"

Last edited:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
If it's dangerous, why allow it at any level? What does it add to the game?