A warm one!

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
CHALLENGE OF THE MATCH A typical start of the season game. Two fairly well matched sides from good clubs but it was hotter than forecast and the ground was very dry. So, as the match wore on, fatigue began to tell – for the players and for Stuart. However wisely he had agreed rolling substitutions and a 20 minute water break so it wasn’t too debilitating. The game atmosphere was amiable – see below – and was quite quick for this level with strong running from both sides. But the result was not in doubt. So the principal challenge for Stuart was the hot and the hard and it’s being the first game of the season. He did very well.MATCH MANAGEMENTAn enthusiastic and sympathetic referee who pleasingly has the interests and safety of the players uppermost in his mind. He has a pleasant but suitably firm manner too and all the players to whom I spoke were happy with his game. He takes great pains to explain why the whistle went – sometimes taking a moment too long but most players appreciated a breather on this hot day. There was no Foul Play as such – well done Stuart. The prematch briefings were good. Positioning for Stuart is something he works on but he has not yet acquired the skill of making it look easy. What is good is that I could see that he knows he where he wants to be but, while he has suitable speed he doesn’t have the 5 metre dash. Ideas to help are leaning forward; keeping moving and using sideways and backwards movement as we discussed. We agreed too that one shouldn’t ease off too soon for kicks to the corner for full back fumbling etc is so common at this level. Stuart could usefully look round more often. OK he does monitor the threes but sometimes not from the best position and this is not quite as frequent as one would like. (Alan Lewis and Nigel Owen are the top men to watch!) The players were generally conforming too which helps but it of the 15 PK’s only three were for offside. Again Materiality comes in and at this level did the offsides affect the game? In many case not but it’s important for Stuart to be aware of them. Stuart should complement this specific monitoring by looking round generally – giving that overall surveillance to the scene that engenders the feeling the he, and only he, is in charge of all of what is going on.But overall Stuart is a good and understanding game manager and, based on this game only, I am comfortable that he could handle the next level up.Please assess Match Management as G, MD, ND or SD using the guidance criteria MD

CONFIRMATION
Officiated in a safe manner X Showed some potential to referee at the next level in the future
Is capable of Refereeing at a similar level X Showed potential to Referee at the next level + X

REFEREE’S PERFORMANCE
Please tick any element of the Referee’s game that would benefit from his/her further attention
Positioning X Communication X Advantage X
Scrummage Offside Scrummage Lineout
Kicks Ruck /Tackle / Breakdown X Maul
Open Play Consistency Fitness/Mobility/Speed

AREAS OF STRENGTHPlease select up to three of the above units to outline the referee’s strengths in this match.
1 Scrum. Really well controlled with no early engagement – at last they’re doing this at top level too! There was only one collapse and this was a slow motion affair and only after a replacement prop had come on. The culprit was rightly pinged however and Stuart is to be congratulated on this aspect of his game. Stuart sensibly positions on the scrum half side of the scrum – much the best at this level unless there are problems on the far side.
2 Kicks. No problems here. Well controlled and monitored even with the problem of casual and constantly changing TJ’s3 Consistency. Stuart was consistent in his sanctions and emphasis throughout the game

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT Please select up to three of the above units to outline areas that need to be improved and offer solutions.

1 Breakdown. OK on a hot day and a dry pitch the ball was coming back one way or another reasonably quickly – and it’s right to say if it works don’t fix it. But I was anxious that too many players were being allowed to remain on the ground cluttering things up. After players had been tackled and released the ball – Stuart was rightly strict on those who did not do so – blue, in particular, tended to blunder forward and then collapse over the player on the ground. Not strictly Over The Top – simply collapsing and not getting away. Charitably one could say due to fatigue but I felt Stuart should have been harder on them. In a league game on a sticky day it will certainly give trouble and possible leather. This is such a problem for us at this level but calls such as “Get Up” or “Get Away” identifying the jersey number if possible are helpful. And PK those who do not respond. The key thing is to make the space- one of the 5 Bullet Points for this season!

2 Advantage. Judgement was sound in most cases, but the signals and calls were inconsistent. Sometimes the arm went up OK but it was not clear when advantage was over. I didn’t hear Advantage Over being called. Also Stuart should get in the habit of running with the Advantage rather than waiting on the spot – sorry didn’t mention this. Stuart agreed at the debrief that this was an area where a minor sharpening up would be in order.

3 Communication. As already stated, the talk was excellent but the signals were in the wrong sequence. Remember PSF – Primary Signal First. i.e. What before Why. And Stuart will find, if he does this, that many players will not be interested in Why – they want to know what and get on with the game. And for PK’s Stuart should get in the routine of Whistle/Signal/Mark/Move and only then Talk. By taking a pace or two back off the mark one is better placed to see a quickly taken kick and there may then be no time for explanations.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Confused by a MD rating (not quite at the level required for this grade) in conjunction with a positive for the next grade up. Is this common in CUDRRS?

Good report though - you must be pleased.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Confused by a MD rating (not quite at the level required for this grade)
That is not the way I use it. I expect most referees taking a game at their own level to be G or MD. ND is a concern, but may have some special cause (eg picked up an injury).
in conjunction with a positive for the next grade up.
Yes, I would expect a G for that

Good report though - you must be pleased.
Agreed.