Accidental Offside.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'm in the grumps again.

Why do ALL accidental offsides seem to be given - even when there is no advantage? In fact if there is any "advantage" at all, almost invariably it is to the opposition.

11.6 Accidental offside
(a) When an offside player cannot avoid being touched by the ball or by a team-mate carrying it, the player is accidentally offside. If the player’s team gains no advantage from this, play continues. If the player’s team gains an advantage, a scrum is formed with the opposing team throwing in the ball.12

Last edited:

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Hi Taff,

Do you have any example there?
Because honestly, I don't recall a lot of scrums for Accidental offside on TV, and on the games I ref, it mainly happen on the line-out's "no-maul" situation...

The main advantage you see (once in a while) is preventing a tackler to get the ball carrier... But that's about it.

My two cents,
Pierre.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Possibly because very little is accidental at the top of the game. Almost all offside is not accidental at that level.

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Just last week, on Top14.

Red fullback kicked the ball low and hard and it hit the head of a retreating teammate 10m in front of him. Ref blew for accidental offside.

I don't think red gained any advantage of the second rower being hit on the head instead of a kick to a free space behind the other team's line.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just last week, on Top14.

Red fullback kicked the ball low and hard and it hit the head of a retreating teammate 10m in front of him. Ref blew for accidental offside.

I don't think red gained any advantage of the second rower being hit on the head instead of a kick to a free space behind the other team's line.

yes, that sounds like play on

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'm nit sure non)red were unhappy!

Did the ball not end up thus closer to red defenders (assuming non red got the ball anyway)?

Didds