Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The prohibition against lifting an opponent in the scrum occurs in two places:
[LAWS]
9.19 Dangerous play in a scrum.
c. A front-row player must not intentionally lift an opponent off their feet or force the opponent upwards out of the scrum.

19.37 Dangerous play in a scrum includes:
c. Intentionally lifting an opponent off their feet or forcing them upwards out of the scrum.
[/LAWS]
I'm trying to visualize what this looks like vs. a player just failing under load and popping up. Are there any indicators you look for that give away when this is a deliberate act by the offending player?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The obvious one if his feet being off the ground. Just popping up and your feet wil still be on the ground, forced upwards off their feet, and by definition their feet are not on the ground.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Look for the opposition front row angle of push. If it remains horizontal then treat as accidental. If there is any vertical component (ie pushing up) then treat as intentional

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The obvious one if his feet being off the ground. Just popping up and your feet wil still be on the ground, forced upwards off their feet, and by definition their feet are not on the ground.
Not as convinced. I've seen people off the ground because the second row got it wrong, and they ended up looking like a circumflex

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
How quickly should you award a free kick against a player that is failing under load and popping up (I believe the offence is breaking the bind, law 19.11.d)... at grass roots do you give them a freebie and a talking to, or straight to a penalty?