accidentally taking a free kick

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
different sport - so proves nothing, but it's something we have discussed before, if you unthinkingly move the ball with your foot, does that mean you have accidentally taken the FK/PK ?

on this occasion it did ...

https://vm.tiktok.com/JRh8mrf/

[video]https://vm.tiktok.com/JRh8mrf/[/video]

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Well i cant for a moment work out what he thought he was doing - IF it was a genuine accident.

id be suspecting a bung from somewhere (CF bombay bookmakers) to be honest.

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
for the OP, no. I'd be looking for intent. Similar to the player who was thinking about a quick throw then decides against it and tosses ball to hooker.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
for the OP, no. I'd be looking for intent. Similar to the player who was thinking about a quick throw then decides against it and tosses ball to hooker.

no problem with that - but this guy certainly intended to kick the ball. quite why or for what reason i cant fathom (caveat - see above)

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
no problem with that - but this guy certainly intended to kick the ball. quite why or for what reason i cant fathom (caveat - see above)

didds

i think perhaps he was kicking it back to his goal keeper to take the FK ?

I rugby I would be stopping play. if half the players think the ball is dead and others think it's live, I think that's too dangerous to continue

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
i

I rugby I would be stopping play. if half the players think the ball is dead and others think it's live, I think that's too dangerous to continue

We are not babysitters. Play is restarted with a kick. Play on

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
When it first became legal for the player taking a PK to play it next without restriction (1964), there was a trick play whereby the taker would stand by the ball instructing team mates where to go while subtly nudging the ball . He would then bend down to pick it up and start marching forward, claiming the opponents were not 10m back. At the last minute he would break into a charge.

Naturally he had warned the referee in advance about this.

It worked once or twice, but thereafter proved pointless.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

didds

Indeed. In the clip the player actually kicks the ball twice. The first time is just to position the ball (FK not taken). The second time is intentional (so play on for me after that kick).

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
When it first became legal for the player taking a PK to play it next without restriction (1964), there was a trick play whereby the taker would stand by the ball instructing team mates where to go while subtly nudging the ball . He would then bend down to pick it up and start marching forward, claiming the opponents were not 10m back. At the last minute he would break into a charge.

Naturally he had warned the referee in advance about this.

It worked once or twice, but thereafter proved pointless.

This and other similar ploys are presumably the reason for law 21.11:
[laws]The ball must be kicked a visible distance. If the kicker is holding it, it must clearly leave the hands. If it is on the ground, it must clearly leave the mark. Once the kick has been successfully taken the kicker may play the ball again.[/laws]

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
i think perhaps he was kicking it back to his goal keeper to take the FK ?

when it was already placed on the spot? I don't doubt CR's suggestion (it's as good as any other) but given people try and steal distance for throw ins and other dead ball scenarios (ie closer to the oppo goal etc) why would he be trying to ADD distance for the free kick?

I repeat i don't doubt CR's attempt to explain this bizarre action! Its as good as any other explanation :-D

I agree with the danger element... I once put a #9 in hospital 'cos he had clearly tapped the ball at a PK tap and go, but for some reason apparently just stopped - I didn't see why, there was no whistle from the ref or shout that I heard and I nailed the poor bugger. :-(

didds

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
For me it is play on and would be the same in rugby of either code. Tough if you don't know the laws.