[Law] advantage At Kick-Off

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I have a query about advantage at the Kick-off 15’s and 7’s. In 15’s if team A KO and the ball does not travel 10M but team B decide to play the ball, IMHO they have lost the advantage and if they Knocked –on when playing the ball it would be scrum to team A for the Knock-on.
In 7’s would this also apply or does the ball have to travel 10m other wise FK.
I am not sure maybe I have everything wrong !

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Same thing in 7s, if they play the kick off not 10, they play on

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
It actually has nothing to do with advantage:

[LAWS]13.6 Kick-off of under 10 metres but played by an opponent
If the ball does not reach the opponent’s 10-metre line but is first played by an opponent, play continues.[/LAWS]
So basically, in the OP, if team B chooses to play, that's it, play continues. So if team B knock-on, scrum for team A.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... In 15’s if team A KO and the ball does not travel 10M but team B decide to play the ball, IMHO they have lost the advantage and if they Knocked –on when playing the ball it would be scrum to team A for the Knock-on.
As Talzabar points out, it's covered by Law 13.6 so we don't need an opinion.

It actually has nothing to do with advantage.
Well it is ... sort of, surely? If the offending team get to the ball first, then we go back for a scrum. What the lawbook in effect says is that if the non-offending team get to the ball first despite an infringement by the other side - then they have gained their advantage so play on. If the non-offending team don't want to play on and would prefer a scrum, they just leave the ball alone.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
As talbazar says it is not advantage that is being played, but is Play On, as stated in Law 13.6.

As with every other Law it applies to 15s, 10s, 7s as there is not specific variation shown in the Good Book.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
It isn't an advantage because there is no infringement until the ball stops short of the 10m or the kicking team play the ball. Until either of those things happen the game is merrily just going.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
:( At a 7's Tournament I played on from such a kick off and was told by my colleagues this was not allowed in 7's. So it looks like the "must go back for a FK" is another myth.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
at the 7s I reffed in May I had a couple of teams play on very successfully : the kicking team confidently expecting to concede a kick caught napping by defenders picking up the moving ball and haring off.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
It isn't an advantage because there is no infringement until the ball stops short of the 10m or the kicking team play the ball. Until either of those things happen the game is merrily just going.

That's exactly the way I ref this. Which sometimes gives a nice little group of players around the ball slowly rolling towards the 10m line making sure no one touches it :D

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've found this season that this is a point that should be covered in the Tournament Briefing to Referees to ensure that it is refereed consistently and correctly.

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
At Kick-off the ball does not travel 10m but both teams stand there looking at the ball how long do you wait before going back for a free-kick or do you all just sit and watch the ball, you cannot really waste time like this, can you ? Nobody wants to touch the ball.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
At Kick-off the ball does not travel 10m but both teams stand there looking at the ball how long do you wait before going back for a free-kick or do you all just sit and watch the ball, you cannot really waste time like this, can you ? Nobody wants to touch the ball.

We don't wait to go back for a FK, we wait till the ball stops moving and it's obvious receiving team don't want to play on then we go back for a scrum (or option). No FK anywhere for not going 10

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
We don't wait to go back for a FK, we wait till the ball stops moving and it's obvious receiving team don't want to play on then we go back for a scrum (or option). No FK anywhere for not going 10
We are talking 7's here...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
FAT.........it's the 7's forum !!!!!!!!!!

:tongue: :bday: