Advantage by securing PK?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think this is quite a subtle question.
Quins knock on, Quins regather, peep. Sounds quite sensible doesn't it

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
It sounded like a word salad with a ref who knew he'd cocked up but just wanted to escape with phrases like "it was a knock-on with no-one there".

So you think the ref made the right call?
Couldn't comment, didn't see it.

I was more saying that if that if the skipper is getting heated, saying "Look, I saw your 7 do X, and that's why I penalized him. If I've got that wrong, I apologize" can defuse anger. It isn't always an "oops I messed that up"

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think with hindsight Craig would do things differently. A couple of seconds and you have a PK offence against Quins. So YES, I think Craig got that one wrong.

However, to say: "If I was wrong I appologise" is NO admission of guilt. It is a phrase I am sure, most if not all, of us have used. It means "that's what I saw IF there was something else going on I'm sorry. Don't read too much into the wording

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
However, to say: "If I was wrong I appologise" is NO admission of guilt. It is a phrase I am sure, most if not all, of us have used. It means "that's what I saw IF there was something else going on I'm sorry. Don't read too much into the wording
It is a phrase that I have used but only if I think I may have missed something (eg a knock on) that everyone else has seen. If I am confident in a decision I have made there is no way I would say that. I may say "skipper, I understand your point but I saw it differently".

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Exactly! I give it as I see it. If I've missed something (Always possible) then I'm sorry. Craig's usage is nearer mine than yours.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
IMHO the ref blue too quickly and should have given Racing opportunity to contest the ball after the knock on.

There were mixed opinions last time we discussed this scenario: