[Junior] Age Grade in France

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Didn't think i'd be posting in this section, but......

I'm reffin a junior game this evening, it's a French u13's touring side and just wondered what variations you play there?

I know they'll be expected to play to Eng regs, but it's always worth knowing if there are any major differences?

Thanks, BFG

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
you also need to check the age cut-offs, French cut off is Jan 1st, and I think you'll find their team is composed of two year-groups, U13 and U12 -- which will cause problems under English regs, as it's possible that the very youngest in the age group might count as u11s in England!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Good point, there's also the issue of girls possibly being in the side too, I've had that before!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
No longer involved in underage rugby, but the Official page is here. The French Union did have English versions of underage variations.

I know the front row must be trained, or otherwise its uncontested scrums. It's called "Passport 1ér ligne"
U14 will include players under the age of 13.
U12 is a different age grade. So you are more likely to have older players in the opposition, not U11.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Yipe. In France from U12. That means at U6 to U11 no scrum.
From U12 to U14 ( and U15 feminine), if enough (5 minimum) suitably (Passport carrying) trained front row players then it's 15 a side.
Otherwise they play with a reduced effective(sevens). i.e. A different set of rules.
Shame I can no longer find the English version of said variations.

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thanks for this, just did a very quick "google translate" on the regs as I couldn't find the Eng version. Am I right in thinking that the scrum is 3v3? And it also looks as though the French have line outs where as at u13's it's a free pass here 10m in? Also looks as though "everything" is back 5m from offences where as here it's 10m back?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
U14 will include players under the age of 13.
U12 is a different age grade. So you are more likely to have older players in the opposition, not U11.

Ok, so perhaps this team is a French U14 team, which contains players born in the two years from 1 Jan 2003 to 31 Dec 2004.
Or it is a U13 team (a grade they don't have in France) it would be 2004 born

In the UK terms this cohort would be will be
1/1/2003 - 31/8/2003 - U14
1/9/2003 - 31/8/2004 - U13
1/9/2004 - 31/12/2004 - U12

which is tricky to deal with as in England all these play different laws, and there are regs about playing across age bands (essentially you can't, really).

when I was involved in age-group rugby we also played a french team, about that age.
needless to say we had quite a long discussion about what Laws to play..

L'irlandais

Post Likes
I have touched up the Goggle translate to make some sense out of it

The scrum is 3+4+1. So eight players, three in the front row, second row and flankers and a number eight.

[LAWS]Players must hold the passport "forwards"
3 + 4 + 1 formation- no hit educational scrum.
Straight shove allowed, no more shove once the ball has been won (behind the front rows feet.). Hooking encouraged, but once the ball has been won, no further contest allowed. The ball must be played without delay. Offside lines at 5 meters.
The accompanying coach gives the 3 commands for the impact-free educational scrum: 1. Crouch - 2. Bind 3. Set
Then the non-verbal command for the introduction of the ball The scrumhalf puts-in without delay (3 seconds maximum).
For the opposition scrumhalf in accordance with 15 Category C.
The scrum is never reset.
if scrum wheels or any foul play making ball unplayable. Safety first, free kick to team who put-in.
Equal numbers, if a man down, then no eight on either pack. 3+4
If two men down then no flankers 3+2+1
5 man scrum (minimum) = 3 + 2. Front row plus second row

Line out variation : No lifters. Otherwise as per LoTG

Two under age U14 referees on the pitch accompanied by a trained coach.[/LAWS]Kids adapt well to playing local variations. I agree with Crossref split the visitors into separate age bands. French coaches do this anyway, based on Year born. So those born in 2003 are too old and your U13 will face those born in 2004. In practice U.K. Is September to September rather than January to January right?

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
that's great, thanks!

L'irlandais

Post Likes
If I recall correctly, catégorie C (and D) are the U19 variations and are two separate Tomes.
Short on-line summary of main variations

Stuff like, not allowed to sack the line out jumper under any circumstances, even once his feet are back on the ground - i.e. no tackle allowed before maul is formed. Temporary exclusion is only 5 minutes at U14. Any brutality means player can take no further part in any matchs that day.

Last edited: