[Scrum] Age Related Scrums

Willehj

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
From U13 to U18 age level, when should all players be engaged in (bound in to) the scrum?
Should it be at: crouch, bind or set?

Thanks

Huw

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Where are you refereeing? Wales at 14 go to youth laws. Other countries differ.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hi will.
Set is the call for engagement .

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Set is the call for the engagement of the two opposing packs. THe BIND is the call for the packs to bind.

That is not the question as I am reading it. The question reads:
From U13 to U18 age level, when should all players be engaged in (bound in to) the scrum?
Should it be at: crouch, bind or set?

Here it would be that the two individual pack should be bound, as a pack before the crouch and then the two pack bind on the "BIND" call the SET is an extention of that bind.

However at differing ages from 13 upwards different variations apply. It is important to make sure you are reading variations from the union under which you are refereeing.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I agree , maybe i havent understood the question being asked .
Yes i agree , both individual packs should have all players bound , including nr 8 .,,before we go to crouch .

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I agree , maybe i havent understood the question being asked .
Yes i agree , both individual packs should have all players bound , including nr 8 .,,before we go to crouch .
I'm not really understanding the question either....but I'm not sure that expecting /requiring the 8 to be bound BEFORE the crouch call is realistic /fair!

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'm not really understanding the question either....but I'm not sure that expecting /requiring the 8 to be bound BEFORE the crouch call is realistic /fair!

I expect the No 8s to be bound to their locks at 'Bind', in order to prevent a 'slingshot' effect on 'Set'. If they do not 'slingshot', then it is probably immaterial. (As a lock of the old school myself, I actually remain on one knee until 'Set', so it doesn't make it easy for the No 8 to bind fully. But we haven't been pulled up for it yet at low levels.)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
as the referee and irrespective of age (the players ... not mine), I do not call 'crouch' until I am satisfied that all 8 players in the same team are bound as per this picture:

Capture.JPG

as per others, I may be misunderstanding the OP

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

why not?

#8 bound BEFORE the crouch ensures the #8 cannot slingshot

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In my mind the time they have to bind is when I give the instruction BIND
(of course if there are age specific variations they would apply )

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
The two separate packs should bind prior to crouch. Occasionally you may have to hurry the back row in. On bind, the four props should bind on their opposite numbers and on set, the scrums engage fully.

Willehj

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
All

Many thanks for the reply.

For U13 as it their first as a contesting pack I will ensure all players are bound as a pack before crouch for safety reasons and to stop the slingshot.

Thanks for the assistance.

Huw

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Above all else scrums at this AG are ALL about safety. Any coach that is coaching U13 #8's top slingshot needs throwing in the sea!

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am not sure how realistic it is to have the #8 bound before the crouch ?
Before the crouch the locks are normally down on one knee... How is the #8 going to bind on them ?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
DickieE you might be waiting a long time.
Under English rules its 13 a side until U14 buoys / U15 girls.
So only 6 in a scrums.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I am not sure how realistic it is to have the #8 bound before the crouch ?
Before the crouch the locks are normally down on one knee... How is the #8 going to bind on them ?

8 on one knee, head between locks' bums, arms around the hips of the locks.

ON set, 2nd rows knee down comes up and bodies move forward, ditto #8.

pretty straight forward. Personally I'd rather 2nd rows not go on one knee but double knee crouch, but I seem to be trying to coach a losing battle here so I've given up-. (FTR its a safety issue in case some early set occurs whether accidentally or otherwise and the kneeling 2nd rows are trapped with a knee on the ground - spines can only bend in one direction normally and safely...)

didds

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I see your point on safety but double knee crouch won't be much different, (push comes early most likely thing to hit the ground first is the knees). Consistency across both teams is the best as when all 2nd rows are on one knee there can be no early push until they all come up at the same time for the ref's call. preferably on the Bind, then the No8 can get in comfortably before the ref calls set

Last edited:

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
DickieE you might be waiting a long time.
Under English rules its 13 a side until U14 buoys / U15 girls.
So only 6 in a scrums.

Doesn't the 13 a side game have 6 forwards with a No8?