an idea from her-indoors

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
in water polo a sin bin returns at the earlier of the designated time or a score.

Maybe in rugby a YC should return at the earlier of 10 mins or a try. I quite like the idea.

Thoughts?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No makes the pounishment arbitrary and unequal.

Tow players deliberatly knock on. One serves 10 min, the other serves 1 min. How is that consistant?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I think that is also happens in Ice Hockey - termed Power Play?

Not our sport.

What is a 'score' - is a Penalty Goal to be ranked the same as a a Penalty Try?

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
That is the case in ice hockey for minor (2 minute) penalties. It does not apply to major (5 minute) penalties.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

Not our sport.

may also encourage teams to kick for goal rather than the corner, if they know that they keep their advantage.

interesting idea though.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Tow players deliberatly knock on. One serves 10 min, the other serves 1 min. How is that consistant?

It's consistent in the same way that a petty criminal either pays a fine or does some time.

Once your opponent has benefited from your transgression by scoring a try, your time is deemed to have been served.

So a YC is worth either 10 mins or a try ... it isn't worth 2 or 3 tries.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not our sport.

so we've never done it that way so we should never do it that way? Somewhat non-progressive

as per OP. Try would bring the player back on

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If you go to prison, you don't get released based on the reaction of your victim - you're there for a prescribed amount of time

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If you go to prison, you don't get released based on the reaction of your victim - you're there for a prescribed amount of time

so what is it about rugby that makes ice hockey & water polo concepts ridiculous?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's consistent in the same way that a petty criminal either pays a fine or does some time.

Once your opponent has benefited from your transgression by scoring a try, your time is deemed to have been served.

So a YC is worth either 10 mins or a try ... it isn't worth 2 or 3 tries.

NO it is different. If yo uare convicted of a crime a sentence is paased. If you get 12 months (Accepted you will serve 6 unless bad behaviour Daft but consistent) you serve the sentence according to the judgement. YOu don't go to prison and then get a call Ok it's ok the guy the stole from won £50 on the horses so he's not suffered so badly you can go now.

A YC is worth 10 minutes for the other side to make of it what they can.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
so what is it about rugby that makes ice hockey & water polo concepts ridiculous?

this is not the place to float new ideas!

I remember making the (much milder) suggestion that we change the signal for a PT ... and all hell let loose!

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
may also encourage teams to kick for goal rather than the corner, if they know that they keep their advantage.

interesting idea though.

Indeed take Ps and try for DGs One converted try = 7 points / three kicks = 9 points Why not look for 9 rather than 7. Also you could get a P/ DG DG and then a convered try to end the ban period scoring 16 points.

Daft to me.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Not our sport.

Not sure this is relevant. If an Idea is good, why not? For me this is simply a bad idea on its own terms.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I remember making the (much milder) suggestion that we change the signal for a PT ... and all hell let loose!

yeah, fair enough. Brain duly turned off.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

The counter arguments were not based solely on newness.

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes

But isn't the actual time served inconsistent now as there has to be a break down in play before the player can return to the field.

There have been occasions that I have noticed where time spent has extended to 12 or so minutes whereas other have been just a few seconds over 10 minutes

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
But isn't the actual time served inconsistent now as there has to be a break down in play before the player can return to the field.

There have been occasions that I have noticed where time spent has extended to 12 or so minutes whereas other have been just a few seconds over 10 minutes

Some matches last just over 80 minutes of playing time; some last much more until the ball is dead without a PK or FK. So your inconsistency is consistent.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
yeah, fair enough. Brain duly turned off.
All several of us have done is found failings in your wife's idea. Only was the sort of "we don't do that sort of thing in rugby. Others were valid exposing of faults.