And we've now got the Smartwatch we need to Referee with

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Looks like the 'Microsoft Band' will be just what I'm looking for when it comes to refereeing?

Why - integration with Cortana. When we send someone off - we can speak into the watch and make a note of the details of what happened, the time and the score.
When we sin-bin someone we can set an alarm for 10 minutes time to remind us to bring them back on.
We can set an alarm for 40 minutes so we have a running clock.
AND we can track all our fitness stuff.

Would any USA referee buy one for me from a Microsoft Store - would pay for it and for delivery too.

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-band/en-us

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Do you have a windows phone then?

A lot of the functionality only works with a windows phone, even though it says it works with all phones.

EDIT: Looks like Cortana only works with the windows phone.
But I like the GPS functionality that doesn't require you to go running with your phone in your pocket like most of the other smart watches.....what's the betting all the good stuff from this appears on the iWatch next year?

Last edited:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
You would look ridiculous using it on a pitch. Be traditional.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cortana is the artificial intelligence used by Master Chief in the Halo games. If you are to adopt Cortana as your guiding muse when reffing, you may need to change both your RR.com username and avatar to Master Chief. And you need to ensure that you don't get distracted by Cortana herself ...

Cortana_H4.jpg

master chief.jpg

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Imagine the reaction of players if this watch was used!

"Nice watch ref"?

Or in Yorkshire.................."ooooh shiny"

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
[h=6][SUP]*[/SUP] Works with Windows Phone 8.1 update, iOS 7.1, 8 and Android 4.3-4.4 phones, with Bluetooth
[SUP]**[/SUP] Instant quick response does not work with iPhone.[/h]
That's off the Microsoft website. Not sure where you got it only working with windows phone...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
[h=6][SUP]*[/SUP] Works with Windows Phone 8.1 update, iOS 7.1, 8 and Android 4.3-4.4 phones, with Bluetooth
[SUP]**[/SUP] Instant quick response does not work with iPhone.[/h]
That's off the Microsoft website. Not sure where you got it only working with windows phone...

I didn't say it only worked with windows phone, I said:

A lot of the functionality only works with a windows phone, even though it says it works with all phones.

Their website says:

If you're using Windows Phone 8.1, ask Cortana to take notes or set reminders with your voice. She'll give you traffic notifications and keep you on top of sports, stocks, weather, and more. She is ready to help whenever you need it.

I take that to mean Cortana doesn't work with other phones?

But maybe you can use Siri?

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Does the alarm timing stop when you time off on the stop watch?

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I backed this on kickstarter a while a go and use it for reffing. Brilliant for my needs. Properly waterproof, battery lasts a week, works with Android or iOS :)

https://getpebble.com

Thanks,

Antony

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Do you have a windows phone then?

EDIT: Looks like Cortana only works with the windows phone.
But I like the GPS functionality that doesn't require you to go running with your phone in your pocket like most of the other smart watches.....what's the betting all the good stuff from this appears on the iWatch next year?

Yes I do - I'm one of those people who have Windows Phone. All I'm telling you is that once you get one - set your 'location' to America so you get the full version of Cortana and then you have a phone that not only rivals an iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy S5 but for significantly less cost. Oh and Nokia's are indestructible still.

Does the alarm timing stop when you time off on the stop watch?

Nope - but I always have a running watch and a countdown watch which goes down. That way I:
1) Don't make the mistake of forgetting to stop both clocks.
2) Can also manage the game time dependent on fitness. A 52 minute half isn't good for Level 9/10 players - I've learnt that quite quickly.

Last edited: