Another first.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
No. I have pointed out that the law requires BOTH players to act immediately in a tackle,

Whereas the IRB disagree with you. Tackler release first was not a matter of protocol, but a matter of strict application of the Law - at least according to the IRB page I linked to above.

whereas the general protocol is to require the tackler to release first. That situation does not arise with a scrum.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
... But are perhaps more likely to do so when faced with pressure from illegal defenders? At some point their illegality becomes highly material in terms of scoring. The tipping point is a matter of judgement.

Accepted, the threat of interference can add pressure to an 8, but I've seen many 8s knock-on without illegal pressure. I favour playing it out and seeing the outcome and using judgement, whereas there seems to be an 'auto PT' as soon as a defender breaks off, I'm only saying its not an automatic award.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If I have misrepresented OB's view, he will say so, and I will apologise.
I would simply stress that I see nothing in the law book that specifies a sequence of actions at the tackle - "immediately" in both cases.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I havent read the thread but you were probably wrong.