another myth of mine

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Just realized "playing the ball on the ground" isn't law. Or at least isn't correct name for penalty.

Have I been sucked in all these years and just realized it now? , or is it poor choice of words

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Just realized "playing the ball on the ground" isn't law. Or at least isn't correct name for penalty.

Have I been sucked in all these years and just realized it now? , or is it poor choice of words

Kurt, Give a scenario to aid our understanding of what you're meaning, there are 'going to ground' and 'going to ground within/around/near things like scrums/rucks/mauls etc' so more detail needed

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Kurt, Give a scenario to aid our understanding of what you're meaning, there are 'going to ground' and 'going to ground within/around/near things like scrums/rucks/mauls etc' so more detail needed

I'm guessing he means that in the past when a player on the ground has played the ball without getting to his feet, NKW has awarded a PK - and is now questioning whether he did the right thing

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes

A tackle takes place, 2 players and no others involved, ball carrier releases, tackler (w/o standing up) from the ground grabs ball and pops it up to oncoming teammate.

To my recollection "playing the ball on the ground" is not the violation in law. I should be using ____________ instead.

I have used "playing the ball on the ground" which isn't verbatim any law when I should have used correct law violated.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A tackle takes place, 2 players and no others involved, ball carrier releases, tackler (w/o standing up) from the ground grabs ball and pops it up to oncoming teammate.

To my recollection "playing the ball on the ground" is not the violation in law. I should be using ____________ instead.

I have used "playing the ball on the ground" which isn't verbatim any law when I should have used correct law violated.
Assuming before a ruck forms, it is still illegal....it's not illegal cause the ball is on the ground..but the tackler is off his feet.
My highlight
[LAWS]Law15.4
(c)The tackler must get up before playing the ball and then may play the ball from any direction.

[/LAWS]

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Wot he said ^^^^ Ping! PK

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Thx Phil and Menace

That is exactly what I'm admitting to. i have said "playing the ball on the ground" which isn't law. I should be saying something else to be correct.

In this case, "must get up before playing the ball" is much better. "playing the ball on the ground" should make me cringe.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
In this case, "must get up before playing the ball" is much better. "playing the ball on the ground" should make me cringe.

Yes, it is bad short-hand, but cringe? It is just short-hand for what you meant, "on the ground" saves a syllable (and word) over "not on your feet".

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I pinged something similar 2 weeks ago: after a tackle organge ball carrier places the ball, yellow tackler rolls away neatly. Orange support first to get there but drops ball (backwards) in contact. Rolls - as if in slow motion - to the still prone original orange tackled player. I'm thinking "don't touch it, don't touch it"...

He gathers whilst still prone. I gave a penalty with a "holding on" secondary signal. He questioned, I retorted "get to your feet before playing the ball again please"

But a specific law entry would be lovely... I think my secondary signal was confusing.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would use the "hands in ruck" signal

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I pinged something similar 2 weeks ago: after a tackle organge ball carrier places the ball, yellow tackler rolls away neatly. Orange support first to get there but drops ball (backwards) in contact. Rolls - as if in slow motion - to the still prone original orange tackled player. I'm thinking "don't touch it, don't touch it"....

Instead of thinking it, why not say it?
Prevent away a penalty.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I know what you're saying Phil :redface:

It was one of those moments when reality seemed to slow down, especially after the game, but inactuality it happened in a flash. Before my mouth was engaged, the offence had occurred.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would use the "hands in ruck" signal

For me that is quickly followed by the 'non-official' flat palm out and rising upwards (suggesting to 'get up'), or sometimes I just use that signal.

It seems to be used by the elite, and not an official secondary signal for anything else (IIRC), but I wonder why not? It makes sense as a signal that you want someone to get to their feet?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
I pinged something similar 2 weeks ago: after a tackle organge ball carrier places the ball, yellow tackler rolls away neatly. Orange support first to get there but drops ball (backwards) in contact. Rolls - as if in slow motion - to the still prone original orange tackled player. I'm thinking "don't touch it, don't touch it"...

He gathers whilst still prone. I gave a penalty with a "holding on" secondary signal. He questioned, I retorted "get to your feet before playing the ball again please"

But a specific law entry would be lovely... I think my secondary signal was confusing.

You are making my case. What law did the previous ball carrier break? sounds like tackle and ruck were over when teammate picked it up.

bodybyvi

Banned
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
this is really interesting i must say. i dont know much about this but thanks anyway for informing this.