Another question re NROP u10s

Billieblob

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hello,

Could I please ask for a clarification on the restart after 'Ball held up in-goal' for U10s.

Should it be a 5m free pass to the attacking side, or the defending?

Thanks

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
I'd go with free pass to attack. The intro to NROP says that the game should be played in accordance with IRB Laws as modified by NROP. The NROP don't cover anything on 'in-goal' so I would revert to the IRB Laws and say attacking team retains possession.

At under 10s scrums are ONLY for forward pass and knock on, so that leaves free pass to attack.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I was at a mini festival yesterday, watching my U10 grandson. They had neutral refs ie a coach from one of the other competing teams. One team had clearly been coached to bridge at a tackle - feet one side, and hands on the ground on the other side of the tackled player. Some refs allowed this, others penalised it, to the obvious confusion of the boys.

Unfortunately that sort of thing will happen with any new system, and there are other examples. Surprisingly, the boys don't grumble much about the inconsistency, but the coaches do!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'd say that's not about "the new system" - if those 10 year olds were playing full adult laws those coaches would be coaching them to bridge. Its not "because" of the reduced rucking numbers at U10.

It is also IMO a stupid thing to do for various resaons including overall safety and development.

didds
RFU Coach Developer.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I was at a mini festival yesterday, watching my U10 grandson. They had neutral refs ie a coach from one of the other competing teams. One team had clearly been coached to bridge at a tackle - feet one side, and hands on the ground on the other side of the tackled player. Some refs allowed this, others penalised it, to the obvious confusion of the boys.

Unfortunately that sort of thing will happen with any new system, and there are other examples. Surprisingly, the boys don't grumble much about the inconsistency, but the coaches do!

In effect they are complaining about "coaching inconsistency" as most of the people sharing the refereeing duties aren't refereeing with any significant experience.

That said, amongst them will be some future 'referees', cos its the reservoir from which many get hooked.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
or not as the individual case may be ;-)

didds

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Ok, you've put a doubt in my mind now. I have always coached (and refereed) that players must be supporting their own bodyweight through their legs. If not they are 'off their feet'. Are coaches really coaching u10s to effectively be on all fours over the ball??

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Ok, you've put a doubt in my mind now. I have always coached (and refereed) that players must be supporting their own bodyweight through their legs. If not they are 'off their feet'. Are coaches really coaching u10s to effectively be on all fours over the ball??

Don't be surprised by anything you see in kids rugby, kids are coached by adults, and although the majority do - not all these adults have a player welfare or a Law compliance conscience!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

i think the point is if you are coaching a NINE year old to bridge as the matter of first recourse, some poor ******* is going to have to break their habit later and coach them to look to pick OR clear FIRST so they can be a fully rounded and developed rugby player able to THINK on their feet.

Leaving aside the issues of safety and exposing necks at ages where they haven't the body strength across the neck and shoulders to protect themselves from a heavy impact from effectively above, across an exposed neck. Only a bloody idiot would consider that acceptable and even vaguely sensible. NRoP especially but U10 rugby should be about players recycling quickly and hitting spaces - not looking to just protect ball at every opportunity.

All this bollocks about supporting body weight etc is emporer's new clothes so the elites can do stuff that is C&O not really legal, and some sad act of a loser of a kid's coach who thinks he is Richard Cockerill and/or Shaun Edwards and thinks it what should be coached.

End of rant!

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Are coaches really coaching u10s to effectively be on all fours over the ball??
I did not talk to the coaches, but noticed that players in one of the teams were doing it consistently. I drew my own conclusions.