Apple Watch Apps

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have never used my Apple Watch in a game, but have decided to give it a go at my next match. This after reading the Garmin thread and realising that my Apple Watch can do almost everything the Garmin does via apps.

I have found some really interesting apps which I will share here, but would also like to hear from others and what apps they use?

My plan is to use the Activity Digital watch face which has the built in workout app as a complication, and to start that before the game. This will mean carrying my phone to use the GPS function (I have the series 1 Apple Watch) in an armband. I don't see that as being a problem. This will record my distance, heart rate, speed, etc and will run in the background.

Alternatives to the built in workout app are Strava, MapMyRun, or Runtastic. The first two require a subscription.

While that is running in the background recording my activity I have found a couple of other apps I could use in the foreground that are both very good.

RefWatch (free) as it says is a referees watch app. You can set period times, interval times and number of periods. The face is very, very similar to my Spintso watch, giving count up, count down, elapsed time, period, time lost, etc. I probably wont use this though, keeping my Spintso as my primary watch.

The other app I found was WristRef (99p) which is a simple timer (elapsed time or countdown, but not both) and a score keeper. Swipe left for home and right for away. You can colour code each page to the home and away team colours and there are three buttons for the score which you can customise. So I have set them to 5, 2, and 3. Dead simple to use and keep a running total of the score for you. I may give this a go next match, but will probably continue to use a scorecard and pencil just in case.

Would welcome any thoughts.

Phil E

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Tech head ;)

Well there's not really a substitute for a bit of card and a pencil from Ikea, but I like to try these things. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
At least its the iOS system rather than Windows, so you won't have to suffer the "blue screen of death" :)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Digging Up an old thread, but wondering how you got on and if any updated app suggestion advice, as new Apple Watch en route and am intrigued as to weather it can be more useful than what I'm currently getting with a Garmin Forerunner on pitch

TIA

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Digging Up an old thread, but wondering how you got on and if any updated app suggestion advice, as new Apple Watch en route and am intrigued as to weather it can be more useful than what I'm currently getting with a Garmin Forerunner on pitch

TIA

Which model forerunner? There is a 'ref watch' app in the Garmin connect store.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's the 235, I already use (and paid for) the refs app, and really like it from a timing perspective (how long left, vibrates to remind you that time is paused etc) and of course records workout data too. But am changing to an Apple Watch so wondering if anything equivalent, or of use. End of the day I can use a countdown timer and Strava or similar, and pencil and paper for the scores and notes as I do now

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I still use my Spintso watch as my main timer.

On my Apple Watch I use WristRef to keep the score and as an emergency running watch (also use card and pencil).
I can also run Strava in the background but as the data tends to be the same every match I have stopped using this.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
On my Apple Watch I use WristRef to keep the score and as an emergency running watch (also use card and pencil).
I can also run Strava in the background but as the data tends to be the same every match I have stopped using this.

Ta for this, had not seen WristRef so will have a look, aim is to use Apple Watch as the primary if usable, have an old school Casio thing as backup timer - don't think I'll be binning the pencil in a hurry either though

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If I was going to use my Apple Watch as my main timer I would use the RefWatch App
Big countdown numbers with Haptics.
You can set up different matches with all the settings I get on my Spintso.

Make sure that in settings you set it to show the Last App on wrist raise, not the watch.
You can also set RefWatch as a complication....and put it in the dock.

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If I was going to use my Apple Watch as my main timer I would use the RefWatch App
Big countdown numbers with Haptics.
You can set up different matches with all the settings I get on my Spintso.

Make sure that in settings you set it to show the Last App on wrist raise, not the watch.
You can also set RefWatch as a complication....and put it in the dock.

Thanks, had found that one to give a go already. My main worry is reliability. I had a series 0 Apple Watch but it was too slow, prone to pauses, and needed the phone nearby for too much, but hoping all the changes have removed all that, I certainly know some football officials have used it with success (although scoring is a little simpler for them!)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thanks, had found that one to give a go already. My main worry is reliability. I had a series 0 Apple Watch but it was too slow, prone to pauses, and needed the phone nearby for too much, but hoping all the changes have removed all that, I certainly know some football officials have used it with success (although scoring is a little simpler for them!)

I have a series 1 watch. The only problem I have had is that you need to have it against your skin or it keeps asking for the password. I wore it on top of a long sleeved skin the other day and this kept happening. Oh and you might want to turn off notifications for other apps like email :biggrin:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have a series 1 watch. The only problem I have had is that you need to have it against your skin or it keeps asking for the password. I wore it on top of a long sleeved skin the other day and this kept happening. Oh and you might want to turn off notifications for other apps like email :biggrin:

Already have to do this with the Garmin, if my phone is in range pitch side you can guarantee I'll get 20 text messages in the course of the game, very distracting - bluetooth = off!